and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hollywood Vintage 1950s Rotary Phone *Works Great* eBay 110665968774

Started by Doug Rose, March 31, 2011, 08:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

GG

Probably because it's in excellent condition topside, is guaranteed to work, and has a HOllywood phone number visible.  Thus it's plug-and-play for anyone who likes the aesthetic and thinks of modular base cords as a feature rather than a compromise.

Only us "stubborn anachronistic types" still use 4-prong plugs/jacks or 42-A connecting blocks, remember? : - ) 

Doug Rose

Quote from: GG on March 31, 2011, 08:29:01 AM

Probably because it's in excellent condition topside, is guaranteed to work, and has a HOllywood phone number visible.  Thus it's plug-and-play for anyone who likes the aesthetic and thinks of modular base cords as a feature rather than a compromise.

Only us "stubborn anachronistic types" still use 4-prong plugs/jacks or 42-A connecting blocks, remember? : - ) 

I've been in the business for 35 years, so I know which end of the punch tool to use. I support a PBX with 2500 users that interfaces globally. Yeah...I remember best I can for a person of my advanced age....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I figure that these things are like the case of the guy who stops on a crowded sidewalk and stares and points at the sky, at nothing.  Before long, a crowd of people are also looking at the sky.  If there are any psychologists here, perhaps they can explain this phenomenon.  Someone went for a high bid on this phone, and others thought that there must be a reason to bid, so they joined the crowd.  Someone is either going to be fleeced or seriously disappointed.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 31, 2011, 08:45:54 AM
I figure that these things are like the case of the guy who stops on a crowded sidewalk and stares and points at the sky, at nothing.  Before long, a crowd of people are also looking at the sky.  If there are any psychologists here, perhaps they can explain this phenomenon.  Someone went for a high bid on this phone, and others thought that there must be a reason to bid, so they joined the crowd.  Someone is either going to be fleeced or seriously disappointed.

Larry
Larry...Imagine what the cute pink mushroom would go for???....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

I always get suspisious when I see the same two or three people bidding an item up...especially when they have low transaction numbers.  Makes you wonder if they're all in on it to get the bid up. 
Jim H.

Ed D

LarryInMichigan

If I REALLY wanted a pink 500, I might pay $20 for this one.  It looks like the winner of this collects all sorts of things, so he/she might not be so knowledgeable about phone values.  Oh well.

Larry

Owain

Credit to the seller for putting the additional info in the description, though.

Ed D

Indeed, credit to the seller for offering to cancel bids if the bidder felt they wished to back out, given the new information he posted.  Kudos are due there.

But this phone going for as high as it did will hopefully not encourage others to believe their similar phones will sell that high.

GG

Doug, there was a little thing at the end of my line about 42-A connecting blocks, that looked like this: 

: - )

Meanwhile, I'm with Ed about this, hoping it won't encourage every fool with an old phone in their closet to think they've struck gold.  It kinda' ruins any hobby when people start getting dollar signs in their eyes and thinking *investment!*.   So far that hasn't happened terribly much here.  But one of the warning signs is when people start saying things like "don't try cleaning that thing up!, if you remove the original dirt you might adversely affect the value of it!"  Eeek!

Greg G.

Quote from: Ed D on March 31, 2011, 11:14:27 PM
But this phone going for as high as it did will hopefully not encourage others to believe their similar phones will sell that high.

You just burst my bubble!   >:(  I was all set to print up a number card with HOllywood on it, concoct a story about it, and sell mine for more than 10 times what I paid for it!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Ed D

Quote from: Brinybay on April 01, 2011, 05:21:42 AM
Quote from: Ed D on March 31, 2011, 11:14:27 PM

You just burst my bubble!   >:(  I was all set to print up a number card with HOllywood on it, concoct a story about it, and sell mine for more than 10 times what I paid for it!

I'm sorry...   ;D