News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 Receiver Crackle

Started by Kenny C, March 06, 2011, 06:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

My 1955 500's reciver pops when i put my ear up to it. It isn't static its like thin candy wrapper rustling. What causes it? Something the reciver is made of?
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny:

Sounds like a bad cord in either the transmitter or the receiver circuit, or it could be a bad transmitter.  It could also be a bad swtich contact either in the hookswitch or the dial.  So, what I am saying is that it could be almost anything.  Start with swapping out the transmitter with a known good one.

Why am I not pointing to the receiver element?  Because they don't ususally create the crackling noise, even though you hear it coming from the receiver because the receiver is reproducing what it gets from the rest of the line.

Try isolating it, because there are many possibilities.

-Bill G

Kenny C

It's not like a static sound it sounds like paper
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RDP

Take the receiver out of the paper bag before you put it to your ear.  ;D

Kenny C

haha  ;D

Its not static it sounds like a pepper mint wrapper
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

But still, try to isolate it by one-by-one swapping out the transmitter and the receiver with known good ones and see if that changes it.
-Bill G

Kenny C

I failed to mention it is not pluged in. It is on the shelf but it does it when its not plugged i and when it is plugged in too.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RDP

Quote from: Kenny C on March 06, 2011, 06:52:50 PM
I failed to mention it is not pluged in. It is on the shelf but it does it when its not plugged i and when it is plugged in too.

Tell the maid to quit putting a peppermint on your pillow because your getting them stuck in your ear.  ;D
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

No, that's crazy.  A 500 can't make sound when it's not plugged in.

From your description, what I would try first would be unscrew the receiver cap and unseat the receiver.  Put the receiver element, which is now hanging by its wires, to your ear.  Is the noise coming from the receiver element, or is it coming from the handset handle?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Kenny C

It IS the reciver. It looks like there is a thin later of plastic under the holes.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny, I thought for sure you were talking about the symptoms of when you were actually using the phone.  Your first post didn't say anything about not using it, so I guess I should never assume.

All U1 receivers have a plastic membrane between the body and the actual diaphragm.  This is to keep moisture out of the innards of the receiver unit.  No doubt the one you have has gotten hardened with either temperatures or age.  However, I have not heard of this happening before, but anything is possible.

-Bill G

Kenny C

Sorry I should have mentioned that it was just on the shelf I noticed this a while back when it was plugged in. I un-plugged it to make sure it wasnt the cord and it was still doing it. I just got around to posting about it.

Thanks Bill.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

RDP

I was sure it was a peppermint wrapper stuck in your ear.
Okay, I promise no more. ;D

rp2813

I've heard U1/U3 receivers make that noise too, but usually I had to be putting a good amount of pressure to my ear with the handset in order to create it.
Ralph