News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist Find - AE50 - Now in Service

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 23, 2009, 04:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I found this posting on craigslist http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/atq/1477708742.html( dead link 04-02-21 )
I arranged to meet the seller tomorrow to see it.  Any opinions?  Is it worth $40?

Thank You

Larry

Phonesrfun

I think its worth it, as long as the "slight crack" is not a big deal, and can be fixed.

-Bill G

ntophones

Definitely worth it, IMO. I wonder where the crack is? Those are cool phones, and can get to a pretty hefty price on eBay, from what I've seen.
--nto

Dan

If the crack is on the back, like mine is, get it. It is my fav wall phone (automatic electric 50, by the way)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

I should have mentioned before that the seller told me that there is a small crack on the side, so I will have to look carefully.  He is also trying to sell another phone http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/1465931795.html ( dead link 04-02-21 ) but that one looks like 1970's Japanese junk.

Larry

McHeath

40 seems a good price.  I've seen one locally for closer to a 80.  Guess it depends on the "slight crack" and the overall finish remaining. 

LarryInMichigan

I bought the phone today.  It didn't look quite as nice as I had expected, so I offered the seller $25, and he convinced his sister, the phone's owner, to accept my offer.  One of the pictures below shows the "crack", as it was described, which is actually a small section of the side missing.  The dial did not return when turned, so I cleaned it a bit, and it now returns, but it makes a loud grinding sound.  I may send it to Steve Hilsz for repair.  The handset was wired to the phone with a straight green cord, and the phone was connected to a 4-prong connector through the coiled cord (go figure).  Once I wired it correctly, it did work, including the ringer, but the ring sounds flat.  The bracket holding the hook switch etc. was missing the screws which hold it to the base.  I found two old screws the appropriate size and replaced them.  The shell, handset, finger wheel, and finger stop were all painted, and the paint has largely worn off, so I have a job to do removing the rest of the paint.  The chrome ring from the receiver cap is missing.

It might be interesting to note that this phone was made by Phillips Electrical Works in Brockville, Ontario.  I don not know if that affects the value any.

I also bought the white imitation European phone from the same seller for $10, after he begged me to take it (I'm a real pushover).  The tag on the bottom says that it was made in Japan by the United States Telephone Co., but everything inside, including the dial, transmitter, and receiver, were made by Western Electric.  I will try to post some pictures of it later.  Does anyone know if it is worth anything?  It does work.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 24, 2009, 04:03:53 PM

I also bought the white imitation European phone from the same seller for $10, after he begged me to take it (I'm a real pushover).  The tag on the bottom says that it was made in Japan by the United States Telephone Co., but everything inside, including the dial, transmitter, and receiver, were made by Western Electric.  I will try to post some pictures of it later.  Does anyone know if it is worth anything?  It does work.
Larry

You can sell it to an antique dealer down the road from me for a considerable profit.  They have one similar they're selling for $158.00.  I'm assuming that they were clueless and payed way too much for it in the first place.  Personally, even the genuine antiques of this type I don't really like the looks.  Now that I think about it, I've never seen the genuine antiques like this, only the repros.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

It appears to be a Western Electric Design Line phone---Model B40.  They are seen here.  There appears to be one that is identical.

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html

Again, thanks to Paul Fassbender's site.  Briny, the one you show even has the same "M" dial card (modular).

I don't think it's worth anywhere near $150.  I saw one this weekend at an antique store in Iowa.  I didn't even bend over to check the price tag.  I've seen other Design Line phones sell in the $45-60 price range.  So for $10 you may still make a profit if you list it for sale, assuming it works properly.  Maybe less, maybe more.

LarryInMichigan

My phone is actually somewhat different.  The housing is metal and rectangular.  It was intended to look like an antique Danish or French type of phone.  The interior parts are all stamped 1968, but the tag from the bottom says 66.  Here is the picture from the craigslist listing.

The antiques dealer out by brinybay must be crazy.  That phone is not an antique, and not worth anywhere near that much.  If anyone here wants to offer $158 for mine, it's a deal :).

Larry

gpo706

Larry, that missing bit looks well repairable, I'd try make a rough mould, and use milliput (modellers hard setting putty) and file it to shape.

The only problem is getting the "new" bit to match the original case, as it's black maybe wouldnt be so noticable hung the right way etc
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

gpo,

I didn't think that it was repairable, but I will consider your suggestion.  I just discovered that there is another similar, but much smaller break on the bottom vents.  Probably the biggest question is where to hang it.  I already have two wall phones in the kitchen (the oak Chicago Tel Supply Co, and a 1981 ITT 2554 (the 'modern' phone), and there are no other places in my small house where a wall phone would fit. 

I have removed most of the paint (why on earth do people paint these things?), and started polishing the handset.  I noticed that the handset and caps are embossed internally with the GE logo, so apparently the bakelite was molded (or was that moulded, since it is Canadian?) by GE.  I also read that the Phillips Electrical Works plant operated until 1953, so my phone must be at least 56 years old.  Also, despite the "PL" designation in the model number, the ringer is actually an SL ringer, also made by Phillips, so it may have been replaced.

Larry

gpo706

Thinking about it, theres an easier cosmetic fix, try a modellers shop and get some strip of plastic, they usually come in all widths and depths, usually used for scratch building or dolls houses etc.

Just make a wee replacement from various thicknesses glued together and if its already painted then your half way there, as when you repaint it should match without any difficulty.

I'd fill any obvious joints with milliput and sand smooth.

I can't quite make out of these are squared off or maybe slightly rounded "grilles" but you only need round some corners with a round file.

Be interested to see how it progresses.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

I finished removing the paint and polishing the phone.  I couldn't bear letting a good phone go to waste, so I mounted it on my kitchen wall this evening (The 2554 which was there will need to go elsewhere).  I did not yet attempt to repair the broken slats on the left side, but the phone is mounted in an area where its left side will not be noticed much.  Here are a couple of pictures.  The handset cord is currently a dollar store modular cord (with the modular connectors chopped off) because I need a cord long enough to move around the kitchen with the handset.  When I manage to find a more authentic 20' cord, I will replace it.  The dial center card is the one which came with the phone.  It had been inserted upside-down, and another number had been written on it.  I added a piece of clear plastic over the card.

Larry

Phonesrfun

From the looks of it, you have a lot to be proud of.  Good job!

-Bill G