News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you test your project before or after cleaning?

Started by Scott, January 14, 2019, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

I was just starting a new project telephone, a yellow 702B with parts dating from all over the place, when it dawned on me I sometimes test a new project for functionality before I clean it and sometimes I wait till I'm finished. I don't know why. I was wondering what others do and the pros and cons for doing it one way or another. I didn't find anything in the archives on this subject. Thank you for you input.

Regards,
Scott K.

RB

My procedures vary too.
Mostly. I wait till the project is complete to clean everything.
Sometimes, things are too nasty to work with,
So they get some cleanup along the way.
But, final cleaning after work is done. Less chance to grease it up again.

FABphones

My initial test is simple. Plug it into the wall, so, if it has a line cord, before. If it has none then when I open it up I will have already begun the clean up so, midway, after sanitazing and attending to whatever I find inside - usually cut line cord.  ::)

But, a tree took our phone line down before Christmas, so at the moment, *after.

*I am looking for another means of testing that doesn't require a landline. I am looking for something ex-GPO / BT that will be suitable. UK members, any ideas?  :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

paul-f

Interesting question, Scott.

My answer is a lot like RB's, and depends on the definition of cleaning. I don't like to work on a dirty mess, so always do a quick cosmetic cleaning first, but defer serious restoration. I try to get rid of dirt, mold and stink before bringing anything into the shop.

Then I test and repair any simple problems. If there are issues that require finding parts, I know I have time for the rest of the restoration. Finishing the project depends on the availability of parts and time.

If I have a lot of other projects (usually), The project may be displayed as is -- a work in progress. I have several of those currently sitting waiting for parts, information or more spare time.

I don't have a good process for prioritizing which project to work on next.  It's "all done by feel."* Once on display, I tend to forget to do the rest of the planned work and start on something else.  ;)

* Reference: Deep Purple, "Listen, Learn, Read On," The Book of Taliesyn, 1968

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

andy1702

Quote from: FABphones on January 14, 2019, 02:15:15 PM
My initial test is simple. Plug it into the wall, so, if it has a line cord, before. If it has none then when I open it up I will have already begun the clean up so, midway, after sanitazing and attending to whatever I find inside - usually cut line cord.  ::)

But, a tree took our phone line down before Christmas, so at the moment, *after.

*I am looking for another means of testing that doesn't require a landline. I am looking for something ex-GPO / BT that will be suitable. UK members, any ideas?  :)

I use a BT 'Revelation' PBX. The functionality is similar to the Panassonic 616 people often talk about on here. The Rev sits between the incoming BT line & C*Net line and the sockets in the house. This means I can dial room to room internally or out from any room onto the POTS system or C*Net. It also handles pulse to tone conversion, so everything internal is pulsed but out into the world is DTMF.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I've always tested a phone before doing anything regardless of how dirty it is. If it has a modular line cord, it goes right into the 616.

If a 4 prong old adapter, I open up the phone and connect L1 and L2 (and possibly move the yellow wire) and use clip wires to an wire to modular adapter box that I made that then lets me connect a phone without a modular line cord directly to the 616.

I check for a dial tone. If that is there, I call the phone to see if it rings. If it rings, I answer it to see if the voice circuit is working.

If it doesn't ring, I still answer the phone to see if the voice circuit is there and if so, I have a ringer issue.

If the ringer did not ring, I attach my DSine ring generator to the ringer leads to test the ringer directly (in stand alone mode). If it still doesn't ring, I have a ringer issue. If it rings, I have a circuit issue.

If the voice circuit does not work, I have an issue in there.

If it has a dial tone, I then try to dial out to another phone on my 616. If it doesn't ring another phone, I know I have dial issues. If it does ring the other phone, I hook then hook up L1 and L2 to Audacity to determine the actual dial speed (PPS) and break/make ratio.

With all of the above information known, I am ready to take the phone apart for cleaning, issue repair and total restoration. The above takes about 5 minutes to do and give a good baseline on the phone as received.

I've found that these steps define the phone as received and always eliminates the question of "did it work as is or did I do something to it when working on it" if the phone does not work after restoration. These steps also tells me what needs to be done on the phone.

Just the way I approach a new to the bench phone regardless of its condition.

Quote from: TelePlay on January 14, 2019, 04:33:49 PM
     Regular Member Post

I've always tested a phone before doing anything regardless of how dirty it is. If it has a modular line cord, it goes right into the 616.

If a 4 prong old adapter, I open up the phone and connect L1 and L2 (and possibly move the yellow wire) and use clip wires to an wire to modular adapter box that I made that then lets me connect a phone without a modular line cord directly to the 616.

I check for a dial tone. If that is there, I call the phone to see if it rings. If it rings, I answer it to see if the voice circuit is working.

If it doesn't ring, I still answer the phone to see if the voice circuit is there and if so, I have a ringer issue.

If the ringer did not ring, I attach my DSine ring generator to the ringer leads to test the ringer directly (in stand alone mode). If it still doesn't ring, I have a ringer issue. If it rings, I have a circuit issue.

If the voice circuit does not work, I have an issue in there.

If it has a dial tone, I then try to dial out to another phone on my 616. If it doesn't ring another phone, I know I have dial issues. If it does ring the other phone, I hook then hook up L1 and L2 to Audacity to determine the actual dial speed (PPS) and break/make ratio.

With all of the above information known, I am ready to take the phone apart for cleaning, issue repair and total restoration. The above takes about 5 minutes to do and give a good baseline on the phone as received.

I've found that these steps define the phone as received and always eliminates the question of "did it work as is or did I do something to it when working on it" if the phone does not work after restoration. These steps also tells me what needs to be done on the phone.

Just the way I approach a new to the bench phone regardless of its condition.

John you could always use a BK Precision 1045A/1050 or a SAGE 930A to test your phones.... :)

HarrySmith

I agree with John. I now always test my phones first. That way if there is a problem when I am done I know I put something back wrong. I used to take the word of the seller, if he was a phone guy, but I learned my lesson on the Red Bar I just finished. I do not recall who I got it from but he told me it worked so I skipped the initial testing. That won't happen again. I always have tested any eBay or Craigs List purchases before cleaning so I don't waste my time cleaning a dead phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

So good is that routine teleplay John I'm going to print it out as a checklist and keep it with my growing test kit (hope you don't mind).  :)

Thanks, some good pointers there.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

stub

I go to the 616 with all phones like John .If I have a frequency ringer I break out the 5 pole WE generator , when everything works I start cleaning. When finished I check it again .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AL_as_needed

I am in the camp of starting on the inside and working my way out. I check all connections and the dial mech and make repairs/changes as needed. Once it can pass a dial out test a few times its off the buffer wheel (or sanding if needed) and the grand acceptance ceremony follows. Usually attended by local celebrities and business owners, consist of a few short speeches and a dinner in the phones honor.

For you fans of "The Office"
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Quote from: stub on January 14, 2019, 05:33:26 PM
I go to the 616 with all phones like John .If I have a frequency ringer I break out the 5 pole WE generator , when everything works I start cleaning. When finished I check it again .  stub
That is exactly what I do Stub! Then a very close look checking all corners.

Nothing is worse than taking pictures of the phone you just spent time on and finding subtle crack. Panasonic 616 is my test bench. Only thing I need to get a phone working....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

By my opinion, it depends of the condition, I have got "barn fresh" phones where I had to do some cleaning before touching the parts, but the cleaning may be vacuuming and a moist cloth.  Else it is most important to make it work before I make it look better. Usually I end up with a working phone with some marks of tear and wear.  It is nice with a phone looking like new, but not if I have to do much more than removing spots of paint, and a good cleaning.  Refreshing black bakelite might be done with black color and Chinese oil.
Scratches in black paint might get a touch with a marker pen, not often but sometimes paint.  Chrome and missing chrome: polishing, and sometimes metal finish paint, or just black paint. 

I wold really prefer i I could cooperate with someone, I make it working, and the other person makes it looking well. The drawback is: I do not know any person for this in Norway  :'(

dsk

Pourme

~

To answer the question....

Any phone I get weather it is a local find or a EBAY purchase, within 5 minutes after it enters the house will be on my work bench hooked up to my BK1045a (I got to hear it's unique RING!) with the cover off as I also inspect the dates and then to the 1616 for 'real time' testing. This initial hands on 'shake down' is the most exciting part of the purchase, other than the purchase its self!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Quote from: Pourme on January 15, 2019, 08:24:11 AM
~

To answer the question....

Any phone I get weather it is a local find or a EBAY purchase, within 5 minutes after it enters the house will be on my work bench hooked up to my BK1045a (I got to hear it's unique RING!) with the cover off as I also inspect the dates and then to the 1616 for 'real time' testing. This initial hands on 'shake down' is the most exciting part of the purchase, other than the purchase its self!

Ditto on what Benny said, very close as to how I do it.