Main Menu

Vas ist das?

Started by Greg G., June 12, 2009, 05:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdgeneration

any one have a picture or diagram of kjobenhavn phone wiring

GG

Copy, made in Japan. 

Look very closely at the dial.  It has USA markings, and I'll bet anyone a slice of pizza that "operator" is abbreviated "OPTR." which is an absolute giveaway: that was how it was done on Japanese phones imported to the US in the 70s.   Also there's a decorative painting of some kind in the center of the dial, which is another dead giveaway.  And the digits are on the inside of the center ring rather than on a disc within which there is a small center ring. 

The dial mechanism on those is similar to AE 24 without the pawl lifter, and will sound much the same and look much the same from the rear.  There is another variant that uses a slow-speed governor that vaguely resembles WE.

On the originals, the dial mechanism is the same as the GPO (UK) "slipping cam dial" with its characteristic thick fingerstop.   

On the replica, the transmitter and receiver will both have convex surfaces on top, and both be drop-in elements.  On the originals, the receivers are of the type with the removable iron diaphragm clamped in place by screwing the receiver cap down into its normal position.

Greg G.

I wish you hadn't mentioned pizza, now I'm hungry at 2am and nothing's open.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

thirdgeneration

Quote from: thirdgeneration on March 08, 2011, 10:54:34 PM

Wallphone

Thirdgen, Do you have a picture of your KTAS? There is one wiring diagram in the TCI Library for a Danish phone. Here is a link to Bob's old phones > http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/KTAS/KTAS.htm <
Doug Pav

bingster

Quote from: thirdgeneration on March 08, 2011, 10:54:34 PM

I don't have a diagram of a D-08 (I'm assuming that's the model you have), but I have photos of mine.  Hope this helps.  Click on the thumbnails for full-sized images:

= DARRIN =

GG

Notice the object in the 5th photo, that shows the digits 5-7-6.  That's the subscriber's meter, by which they could keep track of the cost of calls, as it was incremented when the meter at the exchange was incremented.  Unfortunately those are non-resettable; it would have been nice to be able to reset them to zero every month, and thereby have a closer idea of one's usage without having to subtract against some baseline from the previous month.

Adam

Quote from: GG on March 31, 2011, 04:52:50 AM
Unfortunately those are non-resettable; it would have been nice to be able to reset them to zero every month, and thereby have a closer idea of one's usage without having to subtract against some baseline from the previous month.

I would think that was by design.  If they were resettable, someone would figure out how to reset them, thereby avoiding their call charges and defeating the whole purpose of the device...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

dsk

No risk, the telco had a clause about that, the meter in the exchange was the right if it was any difference.

dsk

GG

The central office had racks full of those types of meters, that were used for the actual billing.  Any meter device on the telephone was an extra feature for the convenience of the subscriber. 

bingster

GG, thank you for the identification of that device.  I always wondered about the purpose of that meter, but for some reason never thought to ask here.  Mystery solved! 8)
= DARRIN =