News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CL finds

Started by Greg G., June 10, 2009, 09:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

ah, dan, i thought that was a tongue in cheek comment in another thread, about the "phone being in the mail".now we have the story. i surely do hope you get it all straightened out. not so much the money, as the loss of a cool phone at a good price >:(

i have never purchased from craigs list& not so much off ebay either. i am naturally suspicious of everyone :-\

except you guys. :o
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on September 16, 2009, 09:39:44 PM
How can I get a copy of the cashed money order? I know the store who sold it and the company who issued it.

Not sure, but I would start with the company who issued it.  Maybe the store, but usually the clerks don't have a clue, ask the manager.  Got a number for the company? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

I will go to the store and investigate tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Donna, craigslist is wonderful to find phones. I have got  soft 500's in white, ivory, and red on craigs. It is nerve- racking waiting and there are no guarantees...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan on September 16, 2009, 10:26:07 PM
Donna, craigslist is wonderful to find phones.

Ditto that, all my phones but two have been CL finds.  The two non-CL finds were from a Goodwill and another one on ebay.  The first CL find I hit the jackpot, my NEC Type 3.  I had to travel a bit to get it (Portland, I'm in Seattle), but I have relatives near there.  I have 15 in total now, including 3 parts/junker phones.  You have to really stay on top of it with almost daily searches using a combination of search terms, and jump on them when you find a good one.   Sometimes they can be talked into shipping for a little extra if it's too far to drive.  I had two of them shipped.  I instructed them to wrap the handset separately and lay it beside the phone, not on the cradle, and they complied.

As a matter of fact, CL is a great place for a lot of vintage stuff.  I was just in a couple of "thrift" stores this afternoon, and I swear, I'm about ready to give up on them.  Way overpriced garbage.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

ok, maybe i will give CL a try. but only if i can pick the item up. :-\
donna

McHeath

Even my local CL has no rotary phones.  :P  This is the rotary phone desert around here.

Quotei have never purchased from craigs list& not so much off ebay either. i am naturally suspicious of everyone

except you guys

I dunno bwanna, if there was a sack race with us all as competitors and the prize a 1949 WE model 500 it could get ugly.   ;)

Dan

Well, I went to my money order gas station and he was able to get me the original money order stub NUMBER . The money order company said I could mail them a payment of $15 and they could mail me a copy of the signed money order, but it would take 65 days! Or they could fax me a copy for $25 and i could get it in three days. Since I only have 43.95 in this phone, I got a copy of the store monry order log, it showed when I bought it (MAY 27) and for how much. I will mail this to the grandfather. I sent him a copy of the grandsons email sayIng he got the money order on mAY 29.  I included the money order company # which , if granps calls, will show it was cashed on JUNE 2.

Hopefully, with all this info, grandpa will realize I did send the money order and should get the phone. I just don't want to put 15 more into this and wait 65 days.

Hopefully common sense will prevail........ :-X
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

You've done a lot of leg-work on this one.  Gramps ought to be satisfied with all of that.  Is the kid telling Gramps that he didn't get the money order?

Dan

I do not know the answer to that question. Gramps said he got called by the military @ approximately the end of may and won't be back until December for a temporary leave.

He just found my letter with the shipping info and my address, but no money order inside (obviously,  the grandson cashed it).

It's only a 10 button pink, but it's the principle of the thing.

Dan

Two letters later, still no response from grandpa. I can pay $25 to get an actual photocopy of the signed money order, but I have a feeling he won't even honor that. I gave him  the money order #, a phone # to corraberate the amount and when it was cashed >:(, the date it was signed, an email from his grandson saying he got my money order, but this was NOT enough.

Well we all live and learn. >:(

McHeath

Sorry to hear this tale.  A 10 button pink 1500 is a fine phone, and it would have been a nice prize. 

Dan

Thanks, I have two 10 buttons, a white and a yellow, the pink would fit in nicely....