News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lancaster 2014 spottings

Started by unbeldi, June 16, 2014, 12:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

I spotted a few interesting items at Lancaster 2014.

Here is one such item:
It appears to be a manual B1 in oxidized silver, i.e. a B1A-8.

When I asked the question "is it original paint", the seller was a little disturbed, stating that nobody can do this.  Well, I think that is wrong, there are plenty of people who can create this effect of shading.

But it looked good. The bottom plate is covered with the correct color of felt, black. It was in excellent condition. The E1 handset had the period-correct inscription style.

This oxidized silver looks golden, perhaps not what many would expect. I once owned a smoke-silver Daimler-Benz, and it looked very similar in tone, except for the dark shading of course.

If it was a restoration, it was done very well. I couldn't examine the internals of the set.  One aspect I didn't pay attention to on site, was the cording, which when looking at the pictures, seems too new.  The cords are ivory, which seems like a mismatch. Shouldn't the cords on a -8 be dark brown silk (H3B-10) or gray (-5), rather than ivory (-4)?

Dennis Markham

Unbeldi, that is a beautiful phone there that you spotted in Lancaster.  I have a couple of the Oxidized Silver models, one B1 and a D1.  I bought them from a long-time collector.  I've left them untouched since then.  Both have the black felt on the bottom.  Attached are four photos I just took of the B1.  I didn't open it up for dates.  The paint isn't as nice as the one you posted but it does show the cordage.  Can't tell if it's a silver color or Ivory but it does seem to be more silver.  The D1 (not shown) has the same color cords, which I believe to be original.

~Dennis

unbeldi

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 16, 2014, 04:34:55 PM
Unbeldi, that is a beautiful phone there that you spotted in Lancaster.  I have a couple of the Oxidized Silver models, one B1 and a D1.  I bought them from a long-time collector.  I've left them untouched since then.  Both have the black felt on the bottom.  Attached are four photos I just took of the B1.  I didn't open it up for dates.  The paint isn't as nice as the one you posted but it does show the cordage.  Can't tell if it's a silver color or Ivory but it does seem to be more silver.  The D1 (not shown) has the same color cords, which I believe to be original.

~Dennis
Thanks for adding that info.  The cords on yours do look ivory, I would say, but you can judge better on the real items.  The sheen comes from being silk, I'd say.  So, the cords on the show phone are probably correct too, but I can't say anymore how old they were. Wish I had taken more time to examine them. I haven't found a reference in a catalog or so, that WECo made specially colored cords for this finish.

poplar1

Dash 8 (-8) H3C cords are shown in WE Catalog #10. I haven't found any reference to -8 H3B cords.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The #9 WE catalog from 1935 shows 8 colors for handsets, dials, and handset mountings (for 200 series phones), yet only 5 colors for cords:

Deskstand, Handset and Handset Mounting
Connecting Cords---Continued
Code H3B Type        3 Conductors

(*) 9 ft. cords can be furnished when specified.
Intended for use with E1B Type Handsets.

Code                 Color          Outer Covering
    H3B4           Ivory               Silk
    H3B5           Gray                Silk
(a)H3B9           Brown             Cotton
    H3B10         Dark Brown      Silk
    H3B11         Gold                Silk

(a) Moisture-proofed.

unbeldi

Another spotting was this 302 type telephone. It is not clear just which finishing code this is, but the owner claimed it to be "statuary bronze" and wanted $375, IIRC.
Hmm. Seemed like a custom job to me.
I believe the dial was a 5H. The base had 1941 dates all over.

poplar1

5H with matching finger wheel is correct for a 1941 set in metallic colors.

#10 Catalog (1939): 5J dials with white enamel cases and stainless steel "finger wheels, finger stops and card holder frames" are shown  for ivory, pekin red, gray green, dark blue and old rose 302s.  302s in old brass, statuary bronze, oxidized silver and dark gold continue to have 5H dials with painted finger wheels.

unbeldi

My guess was that it is dark gold. The base didn't have any color code on the bottom. The owner permitted (urged) me to open it up. The inside paint spray was much more golden, even reddish depending on lighting, than the outside. Old brass could be a possibility too, I suppose.  Copper tone red was somewhat evident inside.

It was interesting to notice that the housing must have had some kind of base plate installed during painting, as the lowest quarter inch or so of the housing edge was spared from spray and showed raw gray metal. The H1 stamping was in this area in the rear.

intagas

My buddy bought that silver round base at lancaster,showed it to my wife outside when i was inside. Nice phone.

unbeldi

Quote from: intagas on June 23, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
My buddy bought that silver round base at lancaster,showed it to my wife outside when i was inside. Nice phone.
I don't remember the asking price, or whether I even asked, do you know the sale price?

unbeldi

One item I took a special keen interest in at Lancaster was this Kellogg 1007 Common-Battery Cordless PBX Switchboard. It was only visible until early mid-morning on Saturday, when someone snatched it up and carted it away on a hand truck; these do weigh in at about 80 pounds or so.  I wish for a requirement to keep items displayed for a little longer, even when they are sold already, but that seems to go against free enterprise.

This board was in decent shape. I was interested because it gave me a brief opportunity to compare to mine.  I believe these boards were made starting in the mid to late 1930s, as a continuation of development from the 1005 and 1006 boards and all the 1940s Kellogg catalogs I have seen contain them. The rounded corner and edge design gives them a bit more of a modern look than all predecessors.

I believe mine to be from the late 30s though, as it is the only one I have seen that has only black key knobs, while they were color coded, I believe, later. Mine also doesn't have all five talk circuits wired, but only three, the top row of keys is filled with blank fillers, although the wiring is in place internally. This configuration is not mentioned in the 1940s catalogs, and I suspect that it was only an option early on, and later these were simply fully equipped at the factory.

Perhaps there is knowledge about this on this forum?

The board has 10 (or optionally 12) common battery station circuits, one operator circuit, and two or three CO trunks.  In my case the third trunk is configured as a manual (magneto) tie trunk, which I have used as a party line for a bunch of magneto phones.

Doug Rose

I found this at an Estate Sale sitting in a Living Room with all this really nice furniture. I ended up getting it for $25 on the second day. Its been sitting in my basement for years. Any idea what I have?? It is a winter project, wood is great just needs some TLC....HEAVY....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Could that be Foreign, Doug?

Ben

unbeldi

Switchboard discussion continued here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12291.0
Quote from: Doug Rose on July 16, 2014, 06:08:18 PM
I found this at an Estate Sale sitting in a Living Room with all this really nice furniture. I ended up getting it for $25 on the second day. Its been sitting in my basement for years. Any idea what I have?? It is a winter project, wood is great just needs some TLC....HEAVY....Doug