News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Belated Birthday Present - Soft Plastic Model 500

Started by Dennis Markham, July 13, 2009, 05:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Thanks Jim for your efforts to find the BSP regarding the mounting cord.  I tend to agree that the cord was a later add-on despite the date.  I also agree that the mounting cords make it difficult to display the phone.  So far I have left them in tact, however I have given some thought to just removing them and storing them with reference to where they belong.

Heath, you made me laugh on that one.  Some day when you least expect it, a Moss Green will fall into your lap.

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 23, 2009, 10:16:54 PM
I have a couple model 500's with retractile (coiled) mounting cords.  I can post some photos if anyone is interested.  It is difficult to display a phone with the long retractile mounting cord so often I will remove them.  But they're no good, obviously as a handset cord.  Although I'm sure they could be modified.

I have a couple 500s with those same coiled mounting cords, some dating to 1958 on the cord, but none older than that. It was an option, and not a very popular one. I agree with Dennis about them being hard to display. Also one I happened to plug in to test many years ago was noisy and crackled when I flexed the cord, so I replaced it with a regular mounting cord and it worked fine.

Below is a white (mostly) soft plastic phone I found at a thrift store with a host of melted places on it. Like some bright little kid got creative with the soldering gun or something. It came with one of those coiled mounting cords and the cord dates to 1958. The phone dates to 57-58-59 and the color code on the dial is -50, which means ivory and that this is a refurb. I think the handset may be hard plastic. I've never worked on it, except maybe to clean it up a little, so it's still pock-marked as you see it here.
Jonathan

ntophones

Hey, Dennis, your phone is so beautiful! Your birthday is in April? Mine happens to be April 11th, so, if you really ever want to give away a moss green birthday phone...... ;D
--nto

Dennis Markham

Thanks NTO.  It's on the way to you..........just watch out the window for it, the mail carrier should be there any time!