"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1953 2-line 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 23, 2014, 10:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Hey everyone!

On Saturday, I got a 1953 WE 510 in the mail that air bought on ebay for $10. I really like it because of the fact that this was built in a very early year for 2 line 500s, possibly the first year? I opened it up to find the housing, ringer, network and base dated 4-53, while the handset, handset cord, line cord (was cut), and dial dated 1961-64. The front housing screw was missing, but I have since replaced it. I also replaced the 1964 dial with one from 2-53 from my parts stash. The handset was replaced with one (also from parts) dated 1956, and I will be using a modified line cord as a straight handset cord.

Does anyone have any info about when the 510 was introduced (month, year)?

(These are the ebay pictures, will post pictures from home tonight)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301345125575

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Christian,

Earliest mention I found in searching TCI library was in BSP C32.540, issue 1, June, 1953:
Telephone Sets, 510 and 511 Types, Description and Use

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/bsps-bell-system-practices/doc_details/9965-c32-540-i1
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

A mention on page 42 of the March 1953 Ohio Bell magazine includes...

First 500 Type Key Set

Now in production at a Western Electric plant is a 500 type telephone with a single station button.  The button in this particular set (510 series) can be twisted to switch a call and pushed downward to signal another telephone.  The first variation of the original 500 set, the new series is already reaching the field in limited quantities.

Typically, sets were in production for a few months before the press release went out from AT&T and was picked up by the Operating Companies and printed in the employee publications.

Like all sets, it was probably selectively rolled out geographically over several years as production ramped up.

Yours is certainly among the early sets produced.  It's a great addition to your collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Here is what it looks like now, all done! After I replaced most mid-1964 parts with 1953 parts, I wetsanded the housing and dial bezel following with polish, added a custom straight cord, dial card, and gave the dial a nice lubricating!

Not bad for $10!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2014, 12:24:20 AM
Not bad for $10!

...plus $250 for parts and labor, but who's counting.   ;)

It looks great and is a good historic, early production phone.  It's worthy to be displayed in a museum -- like your collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham