"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Different NOS AE Dial

Started by Doug Rose, February 16, 2015, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 16, 2015, 02:49:10 PM
If you dial that blank spot, while having a conversation, would it act like a mute button ?
D/P
It's a conceivable application if it doesn't generate a pulse on the 'blank' position.  The off-normal contacts look like the typical AE set, shorting the three contacts.  If the pulse contacts are normally open and close for pulsing, then there is perhaps no need for shunting the receiver or the transmitter during dialing as the pulses may not be heard by the user.

unbeldi

This eBay auction  still has 27 special AE dials for sale, 13 sold already since September last year.

It is an eleven position dial, adding an "A" position.

That dial also appears to be a normally-closed DP dial.

G-Man

Hi Doug-
My first thought was that they were used in an industrial or military control application. However, the dial-plate, with OPERATOR/Z indicates it was intended for a telephony application. Eleven hole fingerwheels in telephony is not unheard of since some central office switches used such dials for 11th-level testing; however the eleventh-hole was after the tenth (operator) position instead of before the first digit. Since eleven-hole dials have been discussed before on the TCI list, you may want to check there.

Russ Kirk

Could this be something as simple as an incorrect fingerwheel on the wrong dial?
I would be interested in seeing this 11 digit fingerwheel compared to a 10 digit fingerwheel. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

unbeldi

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 16, 2015, 04:46:12 PM
Could this be something as simple as an incorrect fingerwheel on the wrong dial?
I would be interested in seeing this 11 digit fingerwheel compared to a 10 digit fingerwheel.

If the blank position does not produce a pulse, then the dial itself, without finger wheel is just a normal dial.  I am under the impression that Doug bought several identical dials, so a mistake would be strange as these are supposed to be NOS.

You can achieve the same with any WECo dial by drilling another finger hole into the finger wheel.

It should be possible to simply identify the mode of operation by visual inspection while turning the wheel.