News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Four Variations of B-Mount

Started by cihensley@aol.com, March 18, 2017, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

I acquired a non-dial B-mount, thereby completing a collection of four variations. All have original paint except where I touched-up the cradle areas. The dial versions have the appropriate No. 2H dials with 132 porcelain.

Chuck

unbeldi

Now you just need those that are actually different telephones, i.e.  for the other types of services:  B2, B3, B6 handset mountings.  :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on March 18, 2017, 03:20:40 PM
I acquired a non-dial B-mount, thereby completing a collection of four variations. All have original paint except where I touched-up the cradle areas. The dial versions have the appropriate No. 2H dials with 132 porcelain.

Chuck
Chuck....I am not familiar on the four variations of a B-Mounts. Could you post some pictures of the markings....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Doug:

The variations I am referring to are the dial porcelain characteristics and, of corse, the non-dail. Unbeldi's post is more to the variations you are asking about.

Chuck

unbeldi

Let me try to summarize the B-type handset mountings.

The original (late 1920s) B-type handset mountings were B1, B2, and B3.

Local battery service:
B1:  B1 telephone

Common Battery service, sidetone instruments:
B1:   102A (manual)   102B/C/D (dial)  individual or flat-rate party lines.
B2:   103A/B/C (dial) Two-party message rate for tip party station
B3:   104A (manual)   104B/C/D (dial)   Residential/PBX services

When anti-sidetone service was installed starting 1930, the B6 handset mounting needed to be added for the tip station on two-party message rate service, the B2 had not enough switches.

B6:    203A/B/C (dial) Like 103A

Of course, there were also the conversion sets (200-series) of B1, B2, and B3 for AST service.

The three varieties of dial instruments (A/B/C or B/C/D) differed in the type of dial number plate only: rural, metro, and E-type (JMRW).

So, I lost count...  14 ?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: unbeldi on March 18, 2017, 05:59:17 PM
Let me try to summarize the B-type handset mountings.

The original (late 1920s) B-type handset mountings were B1, B2, and B3.

Local battery service:
B1:  B1 telephone

Common Battery service, sidetone instruments:
B1:   102A (manual)   102B/C/D (dial)  individual or flat-rate party lines.
B2:   103A/B/C (dial) Two-party message rate for tip party station
B3:   104A (manual)   104B/C/D (dial)   Residential/PBX services

When anti-sidetone service was installed starting (1930), the B6 handset mounting needed to be added for the tip station on two-party message rate service, the B2 hand not enough switches.
B6:    203A/B/C (dial) Like 103A

Of course, there were also the conversion sets (200-series) of B1, B2, and B3 for AST service.

The three varieties of dial instruments (A/B/C or B/C/D) differed in the type of dial number plate only: rural, metro, and E-type (JMRW).

So, I lost count...  14 ?
That is the cool thing about collecting telephones, Just when you think you are done, you learn about some more.
Might as well "keep on keeping on" in my opinion.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

And when you're finally done with those, then all those B-types also came in colors !

Black
Ivory
French Gray
Antique Brass
Oxidized Silver
Statuary Bronze

?

unbeldi

Chuck,  I have to mention that number card on the manual set.

Is that this very same card, presumably real:

Crystal Lake was the 1956 trial site of the 500-type set with tone ringer, later used in the Morris Electronic Central Office.

Doug Rose

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on March 18, 2017, 05:40:11 PM
Doug:

The variations I am referring to are the dial porcelain characteristics and, of corse, the non-dail. Unbeldi's post is more to the variations you are asking about.

Chuck
Chuck ....so the variations are the Dial Blank,  Metropolitan, Numbers only and the 2HE dial plate used for Party Lines. Looks like you got the easiest one last. Very nice indeed!....Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Doug: Yes - those are the variations.

Unbeldi: No. Not real. I copied the number card from the telephone archive site. Interesting information about Crystal Lake, I was not aware of.

Chuck

unbeldi

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on March 18, 2017, 10:48:46 PM
Doug: Yes - those are the variations.

Unbeldi: No. Not real. I copied the number card from the telephone archive site. Interesting information about Crystal Lake, I was not aware of.

Chuck

Thanks, yes, that is the source of that number card.  The exchange in Crystal Lake was still manual in 1956, and the trial sets used were also, because all they were testing was the type of low-voltage line for tone ringing, installed in front of the old exchange.