News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A telephone treasure Map for 1949 WE 500 sets

Started by Jim Stettler, December 24, 2009, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I interpreted your use of "rounds" to indicate that there were multiple field trials conducted. I see now that it was one field trial with each set cycling among about 10 households.

Unfortunately, the 500 trials were before the Bell System formalized and publicized the trial procedures, so there's not much published info to draw from.

Hopefully something will turn up in employee publications or local newspapers in the trial cities, as we continue hunting.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

This current auction for a Prototype 302, goes a long ways towards confirming the location of these phones.
This particular phone is located in Asbury Park, NEW JERSEY.  The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

Paul F, just a side note I tried the email address on your site, it won't deliver my text to you is the email correct ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 20, 2020, 12:34:55 PM
Paul F, just a side note I tried the email address on your site, it won't deliver my text to you is the email correct ?

That email address should work. You can also try the email address supplied by the envelope icon to the left, or a PM.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on February 18, 2020, 06:47:06 PM
Jim,

Any more info would be welcomed. Do you have a list with locations and approximate dates for each round you've heard about?

Noting the source for each, whether documented or not, will help piece together the history of the trials. Having one group list in a forum topic will help us organize the research.

An Improved Telephone set BSTJ April 1951 page 268

https://archive.org/details/bstj30-2-239/page/n29/mode/2up

The first full paragraph on this page describes the field testing process for the 500 set

300 people in 4 operating companies used the 50 1948 pre-production models, AKA D/P's set
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on March 16, 2020, 10:28:19 AM
An Improved Telephone set BSTJ April 1951 page 268

Thanks Jim. I added that reference to the site a few years ago when we did the research.

http://www.paul-f.com/weproto.html#500-48