News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shiny AE A1

Started by Pourme, June 24, 2018, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I saw this...I liked it....I offered $75.00....seller accepted.

https://tinyurl.com/yarkkyfm ( dead link 02-09-22 )

Wonder how it came to be chromed? Was there a private/commercial re builder that did these conversations? Don't know if handset is painted, seller hasn't responded.

Comments on any observations welcomed!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

Great deal. I would of bought it. 
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Wow. I love it. You guys are so lucky with your finds over there.
Do update us about the handset when it arrives.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Quote from: FabPhones on June 24, 2018, 06:46:07 PM
Wow. I love it. You guys are so lucky with your finds over there.
Do update us about the handset when it arrives.
:)

I asked and waited....In the end I was afraid it would sell while I was waiting on my answer...so it really didn't matter....I'll let you know!
Benny

rdelius

Set was assembled by Chicago old Telephone co.I might have even built it.Handset is painted with custom metal bands.Cradle is off a Belgium set by  ATEA., Base is a repro WE  from Phone co. Dial is a AE conversion using custom parts -I know i built it. The plating alone would cost you more than you payed

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on June 24, 2018, 07:32:22 PM
Set was assembled by Chicago old Telephone co.I might have even built it.Handset is painted with custom metal bands.Cradle is off a Belgium set by  ATEA., Base is a repro WE  from Phone co. Dial is a AE conversion using custom parts -I know i built it. The plating alone would cost you more than you payed

I tend to read so much about different phones here and other sources, it's difficult for me to recall it all. When I saw the chrome base, I thought it had been a reproduction by someone. Thanks for the response rdelius.

If you did it, at least I know it was done well! The look is a good look. I'm pleased!

Thanks again!
Benny
Benny

oldguy

Great find Benny. I'd have bought it if I had seen it.
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on June 24, 2018, 10:32:59 PM
Great find Benny. I'd have bought it if I had seen it.

I lost a good phone on EBAY because I hesitated. I didn't mess around with this one. Thanks for the thumbs up!
Benny

RB

Yup,,,nice phone...nice price, congrats. :)

rdelius

Forgot this but  some have AE mini networks others are series wired. Have a buzzer or tweeter also

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on June 25, 2018, 06:23:15 PM
Forgot this but  some have AE mini networks others are series wired. Have a buzzer or tweeter also

Glad you added that....

Today I was thinking about that. I was going to ask you about that. There is another one on EBAY with a network and buzzer.

https://tinyurl.com/y86xswer

Someone cracked open the piggy bank and two phones fell out.

Is that one of yours, too?
Benny

rdelius

I did not assemble that one but it is from COT.Phoneco sold them also but used lesser quality dials,plastic handsets from Norway sets and painted cradles.We did use type 38 handsets but they got to hard to find

oldguy

I like your price & the white handset better Benny.
Gary

Pourme

~

I agree on both accounts, Gary!
Benny

Pourme

~

Well it came in today & I must say I like it very much. My complements to rdelius! You did good!

I polished it good, it hadn't been polished in a while. It has a rattler inside as a ringer, everything works as it should.

I hate the cheap ugly brown cloth cords. It's almost like they have coat hanger wires inside.

I ordered a ivory braided handset cord for it from Old Phone Shop, on EBAY.  https://tinyurl.com/y92luhs8 (Picture below)

This will look so much nicer.

I also parked it next to my A1 so you can see the difference.

I'll post pics of the inside soon.

Benny

Edit: I ordered the matching line cord as well.....She deserves it! (Yes, I assigned a gender.)
Benny