"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New cords for the Continental

Started by finlover, February 21, 2010, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 22, 2010, 02:26:09 PM
Did they make one like that with the Tenite handset ?
D/P
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the ivory handsets on these are Tenite, although sometimes they're painted bakelite ones too. 

bingster

I've always wondered about that.  Why did they use painted handsets on Continentals when they had solid plastic handsets in the same color?  The wouldn't have chipped the way the painted ones did. 
= DARRIN =

finlover

Quote from: bingster on February 22, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
I've always wondered about that.  Why did they use painted handsets on Continentals when they had solid plastic handsets in the same color?  The wouldn't have chipped the way the painted ones did.  
Like everything else I'm sure it was a matter of dollars and cents.  It was probably cheaper to paint surplus bakelite handsets than mold new Tenite ones.  I wonder if they ever made an F1 in Cherry Red, or were all red 302s Pekin Red?

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 21, 2010, 12:43:14 PM
Very nice finlover. Now you need a matching ringer box.
Jorgecito, do you think they made a Cherry Red ringer box?  If not, Rustoleum "Colonial Red" is pretty close.  Maybe I could repaint a black one--hmmmmm...

JorgeAmely

fin:

Contact Ray Kotke, "Ray K" <kleenax@gmail.com>. He used to make ringer box covers in a few colors. I believe Dennis purchased a few from him. He is the owner of the website at http://telephonecreations.com/. I remember seen them for sale there.

But you don't have to go through all that trouble to put this phone up for auction. I'll bid on it the way it is.  ;D
Jorge

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 22, 2010, 07:23:54 PM
But you don't have to go through all that trouble to put this phone up for auction. I'll bid on it the way it is.  ;D

WHEW--that's a relief!  I know how particular you are.  Thanks for the link, primo!

Dennis Markham

The only colors of the boxes that Ray makes, I believe are black and Ivory.  Unless he started making other colors recently.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 22, 2010, 08:53:02 PM
The only colors of the boxes that Ray makes, I believe are black and Ivory.  Unless he started making other colors recently.

Ray has made  clear examples as well. I think he would make them in any color, Black and Ivory are probably the only "stock" colors.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

Quote from: finlover on February 22, 2010, 07:05:32 PM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 21, 2010, 12:43:14 PM
Very nice finlover. Now you need a matching ringer box.
Jorgecito, do you think they made a Cherry Red ringer box?  If not, Rustoleum "Colonial Red" is pretty close.  Maybe I could repaint a black one--hmmmmm...

Did they match subsets to the red and green Continentals, too?  I've seen ivory, but I can't remember seeing red or green.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I was not real specific in my posting about the colors of the ringer box covers.  The box I was referring to are the covers that fit over the 302 base.  When I saw Ray at the Mason show last year he had only Black and Ivory there.  I thought he told me he only made them in those two colors but I may have assumed that fact.  At the time in fact he was not making any more but said he was going to resume production on some soon.  Then several months later I read where he had a helper and was producing some covers again.  I know he has made many items in various colors including clear as you mentioned, Jim.