News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dunyach & Leclert, Type 24.

Started by FABphones, October 03, 2019, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Great find, congratulations, beautiful phone. I'm not familiar with those phones, do they need a sub-set?
Gary

countryman

usually they need just an external bell set. Coil and capacitor are inside the base.

FABphones

Thanks guys.

Quote from: oldguy on October 03, 2019, 11:56:42 PM
.....I'm not familiar with those phones, do they need a sub-set?

Photo attached of a bell I have (shown with one of my PTT 24's, note the earlier two piece 'shallow w' style cradle mentioned in my post above).

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

loblolly986

A fun thing about these is that the handset is very similar, at least externally, to the experimental Western Electric "Type-A" handsets that eventually morphed into the production E1. Who copied who? http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#A

I wonder how well the transmitters in these French handsets perform. The problem the Bell System had to overcome was the existing solid-back transmitters only worked well in a limited range of positions and were thus unsuitable for mass-market handset use, so they developed the 395-type "barrier-button" (or "bullet") transmitter which did perform acceptably in handset use.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: loblolly986 on October 04, 2019, 06:16:20 AM
A fun thing about these is that the handset is very similar, at least externally, to the experimental Western Electric "Type-A" handsets that eventually morphed into the production E1. Who copied who? http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#A

Nobody copied anything. The PTT24 and its handset were developed by LMT with (I suspect considerable) support from Bell/Western Electric in the US. LMT was the French Western Electric research facility.

The PTT had asked for proposals for a standard telephone and LMT wanted to be the designer and supplier of that telephone. I think Bell/WE in the US helped LMT achieve that.

Having achieved that, Bell/WE made 400 of the same handsets and used them for testing in the US. The first thing Bell/WE dropped was the French DC receiver. Then it made some transmitter changes as it iterated towards the E handset.

I wonder how well the transmitters in these French handsets perform. The problem the Bell System had to overcome was the existing solid-back transmitters only worked well in a limited range of positions and were thus unsuitable for mass-market handset use, so they developed the 395-type "barrier-button" (or "bullet") transmitter which did perform acceptably in handset use.

It was 1927 by the tine the E handset was released - over 30 years since Ericsson introduced handsets in Europe. The problem Bell had was getting a transmitter to work efficiently over long distances. I don't think the Bullet transmitter lived up to expectations as it was replaced relatively soon after it was introduced. Kellogg eventually solved the positional transmitter issue and Bell (and others) paid Kellogg for the use of the technology.

Jack

Doug Rose

I have two similar, excuse the Bathroom pics, sunny morning turned into more rain :'(

Marche Du Black very similar to CJs phone...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Second is unmarked but outstanding nickel. Strange as there is a plaque but it is unmarked. One of my favorite phones....Doug

it is the color of pics 2  but I could not get the flash not to work on the others...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Doug,

"Marche Du" on your phones is not showing the manufacturer but the production run date. That is "Run of 25-2-1942 Lot No. 53" in the case of your base. At least that is what I believe it means.
It looks like your base is manufactured by Plazolles and handset by Ericsson.
I'm sure @FABphones will clarify.

Your nickel phone is very nice - I've not seen another like it before.
It looks like the plate has the remains of printed markings on the left side of it?
:)

Doug Rose

thanks Tubaman...so the phone, handset and watchcase were made by three different companies for the same phone? Guess  on the blank plaque?...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 03, 2019, 08:03:44 PM
I have the same phone, name on plaque on handset and base is Marchie Du....

My find is a Type 24 which is a different model. Your phone is a PTT 24.
Most noticeable differences are the shape to base of stem and behind the dial.

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 04, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
...so the phone, handset and watchcase were made by three different companies for the same phone?....

I know of quite a few sellers who build PTT 24's from parts. One chap in particular does a beautiful job on the PTTs he refurbs, but they are many phones made into one with no two plaques the same.

The additional plaque should have markings on it, they are quite small and may have worn. Perhaps a good magnifying glass would reveal them.

----

*There is more info which can be added regarding the other phones on this thread but as it is off topic perhaps a mod would prefer to separate these out and into their own PTT 24 thread so the info can be added there?

Jack Ryan

Does the original phone have a DC receiver?

Jack

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 04, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
thanks Tubaman...so the phone, handset and watchcase were made by three different companies for the same phone? Guess  on the blank plaque?...Doug

Doug, yes that's right, but whether this happened during repair in the field or by someone making it up from parts I doubt we'll ever know.
The GPO in the UK also had a number of manufacturers making their phones, and over the years the parts are often mixed up during refurbishment and field repair. It's just a little less obvious on them as the manufacturers markings are not on display in the way they are on the PTT 24s.
You still have a nice phone, just not with 'matching dates' as you'd say if it were a Western Electric 500 for example.

Edited to add:
I have two PTT 24s in my collection and both have similarly mixed-up parts. As they both came to me in what I would call 'attic find' condition I am quite comfortable that they got that way during normal field use and not because someone made them up for sale.

FABphones

Thanks tubaman, I should have added, my PTT 24's are the same. Where/when done or by whom unknown (as above, much more to add on these so they ideally need to move to their own thread).

The Type 24 has matching plaques.

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 04, 2019, 09:37:33 PM
Does the original phone have a DC receiver?

Jack

Sorry Jack, losing my way a bit here. I will open it up and get photos sorted.   :)

Doug Rose

CJ...can you take a photo of these side by side so I can see the differences. Are the differences subtle, because the PTT 24 and the Type 24 look the same to me. I could use a stare and compare....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 05, 2019, 07:25:25 AM
CJ...can you take a photo of these side by side so I can see the differences. Are the differences subtle, because the PTT 24 and the Type 24 look the same to me. I could use a stare and compare....many thanks...Doug
Doug,
The main differences are the seamless join between the stem and base on the Type 24 and also the bulbous, rather than straight sided, dial mount.
I think the stem is also shorter but I'm not 100% on that one.