News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80s and 90s

Started by foots, March 12, 2010, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I have been admiring those AEs that some of you have posted and decided I need to add some to my stash. Unfortunately for me, that means buying online as there are ZERO of these things around here. Before I go spending any money I have a few questions on how to identify the earlier ones from the late ones. I know that chrome plungers are one way to tell the early models (other than the black ones). I've seen some 80s with chrome plungers with the handset cords coming out of the back and some with the cord coming out of the side. When was the cord location switched? How does one identify the earlier 90s? Any other info on what to look for and watch out for would be greatly appreciated.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Jim Stettler

Early AE 90's have color matching switchhooks. I have seen Black, Red and Med Blue. Rumour is that at least 2 blues are in the hands of collectors.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Jim:

and they have an electric fence around them.  ;D
Jorge

foots

I'm not going after any very rare models. When did the chrome plungers come into use? I've seen the later models with clear plungers and thought that the chrome ones would have been a little earlier than the clear. I'm going to surf around the web later tonight and see what turns up. 

Has anybody ever dealt with http://www.ericofon.com/index.htm  ?? They are a little pricey but some of their stuff looks nice.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Jim Stettler

That is Richard Rose's site. He is a really fair and knowledgable collector. I would advertise your wants here and on the TCI list. You can always buy 1 from Richard later. I know I have a few stashed away in some boxes. Most of them i would probably be willing to sell or trade.

Jim

BTW Herer is a poto of an early AE90 in Dark blue. It has a painted handset.

There are more photos of colored AE 80-90 sets on the TCI picture place. Sort by date and lok at titles around 10/24/09
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

In reading my post, It sounded unfair to Richard Rose. I would have no problem buying from him or from his site. His phones are top notch and he is very knowledgable. He is the "World" expert on ericofones (per Ericofon collectors), and he is a really good guy.  I have corresponded with him for years and have met him at shows. He does real quality work.

However, If you are cheap (like me), I would advertise my want list and see what I can find cheaply.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

This thread prompted me to find a box that  peeked into last week.

I would consider offers to buy or trade this light blue AE80. It has clear plungers.

I suspect it would clean up nicely. The dial bezel is yellowed, but the rest of the phone looks pretty good.

foots, I can also put you in touch Bill Wright, He can probably answer your AE 80/90 questions and give you some good prices on some  AE 80/90's. PM me for more info.

Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Jim:

Can you check your Dark Blue AE90 for a manufacturing date?

Jorge

Jim Stettler

Jorge,
That isn't my phone. It belongs to Gene Doom. If you check the TCI picture place around 10/24/09. There are 2 photos posted by Bill Wright of this phone. Gene Doom then posted the base and interior photo.

The other Blue AE 90 belongs to Cliff "no vacency, AZ". He bought it from a dial guy in AZ.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

That dark blue AE90 is very nice.  Notice how the switch hook arm is also painted blue.  Usually those are chrome, aren't they?  That would be a nice one to add to your dark blue collection, Jim........or mine. :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 12, 2010, 10:36:02 PM
That dark blue AE90 is very nice.  Notice how the switch hook arm is also painted blue.  Usually those are chrome, aren't they?  That would be a nice one to add to your dark blue collection, Jim........or mine. :)

It is a pretty phone and it is on my list, I am really trying to limit my wall phones dut to lack of wall space.
My understanding is that the early 90's had color matching Swhks. I have seen Blue, black and red. Later sets used the chrome hooks.
This photo is from an Ebay auction that closed earlier today for $35.
# 330410226516

Jim
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

AE 90's with painted hooks are pretty rare. They are the absolute oldest 90's out there. If you look at the back of these 90's you will realize that they are actually 80's that were modified by AE to produce a wall set. Quite soon after they introduced the 90 they redesigned it again with a new back plate specific to the 90. I guess they decided that a chrome hook would make it easier to change the phone to a different color when they went for refurbishing.  One other indicator of an old 90 is the handset cord exiting from the bottom rather than the left side of the phone. I have a couple of black 90's and a turquoise one that have the painted hooks. I also have one or two with painted silver hooks that I assume were painted hook 90's that went for refurbishing. They decided to simply repaint the hook silver to go with the new color that the 90 had been changed to.

Phonesrfun

Terry:

That is interesting.  I never knew that they used the base of the AE80.  I now need to add that to my list of things to acquire. (The list keeps growing).

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Terry,
So, I guess $35 on the red one was a good deal for the winner?

I agree with your reasoning regarding the  silver painted hookswitches.

A compleate set of Early AE90's with painted switchooks would be an interesting sight.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

That's something else to watch for.  I don't recall ever seeing the 90's with painted hooks.  Probably I just wasn't looking.  But I will be now.  Thanks for the info on those.  I did notice that the few that I have all have chrome hooks.