and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Blue Continental Tribute Phone

Started by Pourme, January 29, 2020, 09:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

A lot of thought has gone into this.

When I acquired the "Craigslist Bonanza" nearly 3 years ago....  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16127.msg166968#msg166968

I had several B-1 & D-1's, in various states of repair. Most are preserved just as I found them, after a good cleaning, cords and all.

The worst of the worst have become subjects of my way less than perfect restoration efforts. This one was started about two years ago. Paint was mostly stripped when I found it in a box I had forgotten about. After removing the rest of the paint, I determined it was not a candidate for a mirror polish (which was my original intention).

Someone on the forum, can't remember who (I did search) had a navy blue, 202 original (painted?) phone. That color stuck in my mind.

When I decided to paint this phone and dress it up as a Continental, I looked at the color choices offered in the Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X. My wife favored the Navy Blue. Remembering the recent 202 in the forum, I agreed.  So with that decided, I proceeded.

I used @Teleplay, John's method of curing the paint on every layer of the metal parts. My oven's lowest setting is 170 degrees so I used that for the first hour, 300 degrees for the second. I let it cool down on it's own for several more, sanding between each coat. Three coats.

The results was not like perfection, but I wasn't aiming for that. The metal has a uneven surface due to the quality of the metal and the crudeness of the molds. The results yields a uneven surface and corresponding painted surface. In all I am very pleased, its mine, not for sale so there!

The base in the pic is "borrowed" from another set, I haven't reproduced that yet.

As you look at these pictures, I am writing about the handset. I had issues and stumbled on to something I'm still deciding on. I will post about the handset in a few minutes.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Interesting. Can you post some pictures in better lighting? It is hard to see any details with the blue light.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

When I painted the handset, using the same paint in Satin Ivory Silk. It very closely resembles the ivory used on Continentals. Another John tip! I had runs, pour finish issues. At one point I was sanding the handset down to repaint and some of the Bakelite started to show through, I liked the look.  I even sprayed it again and tried to strategically locate the "worn " surfaces. I like what I have now enough to stop sanding on it, don't want it too busy.

What do you think? Part of me says "Nice idea, wrong phone to pair it with".  Other times "It's perfect!"

As I looked and pondered I thought "What if the worn areas uncovered the sane blue that is on the phone rather than black Bakelite?"

That idea was attempted as well.

I'll post some pics in better light...
Benny

Pourme

Not as cold now....outside pictures...
Benny

Pourme

~
The saga continues:

I had, in my "bits" (FABphones), a F-1 handset that is cracked completely through in the center, but still solidly in tact. I also had a transmitter cap that was broken, to use in the experiment.

The plan was to paint the handset with the same blue, cure it out then paint it with ivory silk, cure it. The finished product would then be smartly sanded to my pre determined specs. Simple, right?

All went well until the ivory "crackled" like it did. Not knowing what to do, I sanded, and sanded.....

I'm not at all happy with the results. I'm rethinking, buying more paint & sandpaper.
Benny

Key2871

I like the color, with the ivory base cover and the switch cradle. The handset to me needs work. Paint in ivory, or blue as the phone. But it's a neat idea to have for a color, I think if the handset were ivory it would be very sharp.

Nice work, so far.
KEN

Pourme

~

That was always the plan. I ran out of paint before I could get it right. This may wind up with two handsets.....
Benny

HarrySmith

Cool! I llike the color. Looks good. With the Ivory base and cradle I would agree, an Ivory handset would look best.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Pourme on January 29, 2020, 10:29:30 AM
~
The saga continues:

I had, in my "bits" (FABphones)......

Bless :D - my legacy of not blinding with science lives on.  ;D ;D

What you have there is known as a Crackle Glaze. Many crafters have tried and failed to achieve it.
Your paint has reacted with a layer already on the phone. My guess is an oil, which has caused the paint to split. I have had the same thing happen on metal (a PTT24 body).

Trial and error would be my next steps. I would strip the paint. The stripper should remove any oils but if unsure I would use a sprit to remove any oil residue on the handset and handle carefully (natural oils from hands). All of the paint remover must be removed. I use washing up liquid and water. Be careful not to get paint stripper or water where you don't want it. I would leave it a few hours then spray paint an undercoat, let it dry overnight, and spray with the top coat, usually two or three coats will suffice, leaving each layer ovenight to dry and cure.

Re baking Bakelite, for me this would be an experiment. You could try maybe baking the endcaps if they are of the same material, to see the results. I don't bake Bakelite as I have never spray painted Bakelite. But I have spray painted other materials to achieve 'Crackle Glaze' and oven baked sprayed metal, which has worked beautifully.

Hope this helps a bit.
:)

ETA: Forgot to mention, any cracks/breaks I would repair after stripping the paint, using epoxy putty and sanding smooth to obtain as invisible/smooth a repair as possible.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Thanks FABphones for the good advise. I use the same method each time. This ends with a thorough wiping down with standard alcohol, wearing gloves, to clean oils before painting. It works well most times, this time I created the much envied "Crackle Glaze" finish!. I will play with this one for a while, the other one will be properly painted with a satin finish.

I have been heating the handsets to 170 degrees (my lowest setting) for two hours, to help gases escape. Metal I add another hour at 300 degrees.

Benny

Key2871

I finally see he's talking about the handset. I've had that problem as well, it is a reaction of the previous paint on the surface. I've always heard it called crazing. But I wouldn't heat the handset, it may expand a bit while heated and then shrink when cooling. I'd just prep it as best possible to remove previous paint.
Lacquer may help soften any previous paint to remove it.
I've not ever had good luck painting F handsets especially if painted previously.
KEN

persido

I think this is the blue 202 you were looking for, go half  way down the post, it one of mine I did a few years back.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12254.msg129416#msg129416

Babybearjs

just remember, these phones were powder coated... and be careful, I had a 211 that I put in the oven thinking I could "Burn" off the paint, only to discover that pot metal is like aluminum.... it melts at high temperatures...
John

Key2871

Lol yea, John you can't bake off power coat.. You need to send it off, or if it's not to heavy sand blast it off.
KEN

oldguy

Beautiful phone Benny. I like the idea of 2 handsets, 1 ivory & 1 blue. As you know I'm a Continental/Imperial fan. Right now (as money allows) I'm trying to acquire color 302s & Continentals.

Persido, the yellow 302 & the blue D1 are amazing, have you done any more phones since 2014?
Gary