News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

South African AEI Centenary Neophone

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 06, 2020, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

This auction (ebay link) came up last week, and it was too unusual to pass on it.  The phone arrived last nigh, after an extended visit to the Champaign, IL USPS facility.  The phone was quite dirty and apparently contained some souvenirs from the Namibian desert, including various types of dust and two spider mummies.  The wiring diagram which was tucked under the PC board shows that the phone was made by "Telephone Manufacturers of South Africa (Pty) Ltd.".  The dial, which was stuck and quite a challenge to clean and make turn properly, is of a design which I do not recall ever seeing before.  The numbers are actually part of the very thick plastic finger wheel.  There us a cup for each number with the number at the bottom.  The shell of the phone is actually dark gray, but it has turned brown with sunlight exposure.  I plan to try to bleach it back next year when the tundra thaws and we have some sunshine here.  The rubber insert for the back center of the shell apparently completely melted, so I need some sort of replacement.  If you have such a piece to spare, please let me know.

Is the "GPO" on the bottom of the phone a Namibian thing?

Larry

Key2871

Looks nice, usps is keeping packages for a vacation at no added expence.. Except the one trying to get it.
KEN

tubaman

Nice find - especially with the colour matching dial.
I have a UK version with a standard GPO 21C pattern dial, although my handset is a dark burgundy colour - your looks rather lighter.
I believe your dial is an ATE No. 5 type - details here - https://www.britishtelephones.com/ate/6.htm (I have one of these and thought it looked familiar).
As you can see the case on mine has yellowed too.
The cord grommet should look like the one in my picture.
:)

Jim Stettler

That color match dial really makes a difference in the look of this phone.
And it is an unusual  dial.
The phone is a nice find at a nice price.
You should add it to the December 2020 Find of the month.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24590.0
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

This phone uses the same GPO type 13 transmitter as my British Neophone, and like the British one, the transmitter is dead.  Is there somewhere that I can get replacement transmitters for a reasonable price here in the USA?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone came with a three-prong plug which I assumed was South African, but when I look up South African telephone plug online, I see a much different design.  The arrangement of the prongs on this plug is similar to the Italian plug bit a bit different.  Inside the plug, "R" and "W" are molded into the plastic next to two of the screws, and the phone uses the red and white wires for the line.  Is this another style which was used in South Africa 50 years ago?

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 06, 2020, 05:42:19 PM
Is this another style which was used in South Africa 50 years ago?

It looks like the South African plug to me - very similar to others though.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

I managed to do some cleaning, bleaching, sanding, and polishing to the shell, and I reassembled the phone.  It is working on my desk now with the improvised AE transmitter connection.  The dial now turns freely and works well.  The ringer also works well.

Larry

tubaman

That looks great. The matching dial makes these look so much better than the UK version. I want one! ;D

FABphones

Agreed. The dial is nice on this version.

I have three variations of the (U.K.) Centenary, the only thing I don't like about them is the handset. Barely any weight to it. I prefer a more solid feeling handset.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on December 15, 2020, 03:22:24 AM
Agreed. The dial is nice on this version.

... the only thing I don't like about them is the handset. Barely any weight to it. I prefer a more solid feeling handset.
True, the handset could do with feeling more substantial.
:)