News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My familys old Northern Electric

Started by Datguy, October 13, 2021, 07:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datguy

We used this till 1996. Its cracked, glued, painted and missing the screws to hold the dial in place. Now that I own it id like to figure out when its from and the model.  My plans are to get it working, repaint it and start using it again. It's ugly, but it's part of my past and I'd love to hear it ringing again.

FABphones

Hi, and welcome to CRPF. You have come to the right place for help with all things telephone!  :)

You have a Northern Electric Uniphone (made in Canada).

If you could give us a bit more detail of the problems you are having with the phone, and a close up photo of the damage, we have lots of knowledgeable members here to help.

The colour - you mention it is painted - what colour is underneath the paint?

Please add a few interior images, and a couple of the handset, endcaps removed, so we can take a look inside.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Datguy

It was originally black, before someone repainted it.  It was working when it was stored in a closet, but some years ago I had planned to repaint it and fix the poor repair job, but all I accomplished was losing the screws to the dial and the switch that the headset sits on.

Beyond finding new screws, figuring out where the wires need to be reconnected,  it should still work. So I'd just have to smooth out the lousy repairs and give it a nice black paint job. It will never look perfect,  but its been ugly for as long as I remember.

The latest patent date that I can find is 1935. How do I narrow down when this one was built?

Datguy

I believe this is a "no 1", produced from the mid 30s till the late 40s.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

The B1A ringer is stamped with its manufacturer date of 8/29/55 and the 101A coil seems to have a manufacture stamped 55 for 1955 (and will be preceded with a Roman numeral III for 3rd quarter 1955 - August.

Good indication the phone was assembled August 1955, at least the base.

The elements in the handset have dates but may or may not match since they are easily swapped out if the phone has reception or transmission issues.

poplar1

NE 101A induction coil and B1A ringer both have date stamps in month-day-year format.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Datguy

I opened the handset, the microphone has a stamp of "8/29/55" on it.  So it certainly looks like this old beast was built in '55.

HarrySmith- the color was originally black, I assume this was painted black after it was broken and glued.

What subsection of the forum should I ask to try and find the schematic? I need to determine where the unhooked wires go.

Theres a custom screw shop in the next town,  I'll bring this there to try and find screws to match the missing ones.

BTW, thanks for the help everyone.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HowardPgh

Finding correct screws to fit old phones is difficult! About the only way to find them is from a junker phone. The easiest ones to find are the dial screws (4-36?).

Howard

Datguy

Quote from: HowardPgh on October 14, 2021, 10:13:15 AM
Finding correct screws to fit old phones is difficult! About the only way to find them is from a junker phone. The easiest ones to find are the dial screws (4-36?).

There is a custom screw shop near me, so if they don't have ones that work I'd be able to have them make them. Though finding a donor phone may be easiest,  as then I could find where the wires need be be reconnected.