News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Yellow Soft Plastic 500 1956

Started by jason78, March 10, 2022, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason78

I recently bought a lot of 2 phones and was surprised to discover the Yellow 500 is soft plastic dated 1956 and has all the original plastics and handset. Looks like the caps are missing the center holes? I have read some things that lead me to believe this is an uncommon, or dare I say, rare find. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

< edit 03-11-22: images removed, rotated, reattached >
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25927

SUnset2

As a generalization, the soft plastic caps don't have a center hole, but the ABS caps have the center hole. There may have been some overlap, so it's not 100% accurate.
That's a nice early yellow 500. Good find.

Pourme

~

That's a keeper.

Good find...go find more!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

jason78

Thanks! Any ideas on how effective Novus 2 and 3 are on the Tenite soft plastic? It could use a polishing.

SUnset2

Unless you are trying to deep scratches or bad fading, I would start with Novus 3, and then Novus 2 to polish it up.

Pourme

Quote from: jason78 on March 11, 2022, 08:12:24 PM
Thanks! Any ideas on how effective Novus 2 and 3 are on the Tenite soft plastic? It could use a polishing.

Sunset2 is right, Novus is a good product, just follow directions. That one looks like it will clean up nicely!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Nice find, what is the other phone?
Gary

jason78

Quote from: oldguy on March 12, 2022, 11:07:40 PM
Nice find, what is the other phone?

Thanks, it's a light gray 500 dated 1958 in excellent condition. It's why I bid on this lot to begin with. I have a soft spot for gray WE phones. I didn't even unwrap the yellow phone until a couple weeks later when I was taking the box to the trash and made the discovery. I have said I was done with plastic sets yet my last 4 phones have been 500 sets, lol. These 2 and two Mediterranean Blue 500s. Now I promise I'm done with plastic phones again unless I run across any type of prototype or an Oxford Gray 500.  ;D

jason78

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 11, 2022, 10:27:19 PM
Unless you are trying to deep scratches or bad fading, I would start with Novus 3, and then Novus 2 to polish it up.

Quote from: Pourme on March 12, 2022, 03:20:26 AM
Sunset2 is right, Novus is a good product, just follow directions. That one looks like it will clean up nicely!

Thanks!

MMikeJBenN27

Nice phones!  Soft plastic is getting hard to find!

Mike

paul-f

Quote from: jason78 on March 12, 2022, 11:57:35 PM
Thanks, it's a light gray 500 dated 1958 in excellent condition. It's why I bid on this lot to begin with. I have a soft spot for gray WE phones.

Many of us like gray also...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3312.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line