News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't tell my wife, but I bought a 302 today...

Started by deedubya3800, September 12, 2010, 05:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

So I went antique shopping in Memphis yesterday, and I found what I was looking for. I bought a black 1954 Western Electric 302 (F1W) for $35. It's in altogether good shape on the outside with only negligible damage to the shell and seems to just need a good cleaning. The numbers and letters on the dial plate are even good! I already have reproduction number cards and windows on the way because my 5302 needs them as well, and I ordered extras.

The inside is good, though it smells a touch cheesy. The dial seems like it could use some oiling (instructions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated!) and it needs a plug at the end of the line cord. But other than that, it sends and receives calls well, the 1946 ringer is excellent after a little dusting and adjusting, and both elements in the handset seem to be perfect.

Now I have my eye on a very clean black 1961 WE 500 they only want $24 for so I can have my three-piece display illustrating how the 5302 is really a 302 trying to sneak into the 500 club. Then I need to stop.

At least until I get rich and can have my own telephone room.  ;)

Kenny C

i got an al matching #'s 5-62 500 (exception for handset cord was replaced in 1970)  for 6.00 last October. And i have gotten 2 302's localy 1 for 10.00 and the other for 15.00 i got the other off of ebay for 36.00 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

hey 5-62 is my birthday phone!!

deedub-- that is a great idea for a display
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

deedubya3800

I just realized as I was going to bed that I now have a 1946 5302 with a 1955 ringer and a 1954 302 with a 1946 ringer. :P

What does it mean for "B1AL" to be stamped in ink over "B1A" engraved on the ringer?

Kenny C

the trans. date is 5-9-62 and the rec. date 5-10-62
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

deedubya3800

So, I've been cleaning on this phone today and noticed the dial is a 5H. I've never had a 5H. Noisy little booger, but apparently that's how their supposed to sound. Cool. But I got the ringer speed adjusted (again, from another thread right here on the forum - Thanx! ;) ) and now it's perfectly in time with my other phones.

It appears the handset is a 52 though the rest of the phone (but the ringer) is a 54. What was the last date they made new 302's?

What really amazes me about it is how clean the dial plate came. The numbers and letters are perfect!

I had borrowed the plug off my 5302 to test it and use it, but I've had to put that back so now I can't use it until I get a new plug in. Hopefully that won't be long. The wire is very professionally stripped at the end, and it makes me wonder if it had previously been in a hardwired installation. I prefer the four-prong connections myself because they're so easy to connect, disconnect, and work on. I have the equipment to do modular plugs as well, but that's just not right on these older phones.

Kenny C

if you are talking about those 4 prong plugs i can spare one PM me your adress and i will send it.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Bill

DW -

I picked up a WE 354 a while back, which I think is the wall-mount version of a 302. It also has a 5H dial. I love the sound of that dial !

Bill

deedubya3800

Yeah, I'll have to get used to it. I don't intend this phone to be a daily user, though. Occasional maybe. I plan for my 5302 to do most of the work and my 1970 SC 500D to stay in the bedroom.

I would eventually like a 354. I think it would look great as a kitchen or hallway phone. But I digress again.  8)

easytiger

Quote from: deedubya3800 on September 13, 2010, 09:51:43 AM
I would eventually like a 354. I think it would look great as a kitchen or hallway phone. But I digress again.  8)

Here's a possibility for you.

I like 354's as much as the next guy...more probably, but am I missing something with this $1000.00-to-start 354?

http://tinyurl.com/332cd3a

Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

Dennis Markham

I just asked the seller this question:

Just wondering if that is a typo or you did you intend to start the bidding at one thousand dollars?   

HarrySmith

He also has a $400.00 black 302, I think he just has no clue!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

i agree remove a zero from both #'s and its still to high ha ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

deedubya3800

Yeah, I wasn't looking to pay more than $35 for my 302 Saturday, and that's just what I found. It had been marked down from $45. But this one was in better condition than several that were marked even higher. It was the 500's that were cheap. They were all $30 or less, regardless of age or condition. I saw one metal 302 a few weeks ago, they wanted $75, but with a dial that would barely move and lots of missing paint, a missing cord, and no telling what inside, I fear it would've taken more than $75 in work to make it worth $75.

Kenny C

302's in antique stores i have seen are way too high
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010