News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Collectible No. 2 dial?

Started by bingster, December 01, 2008, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Since my collection is made up of commonplace phones, I don't usually have much to brag about, so please forgive me if I brag a little now.   ;)

In the recent spate of dials on eBay, I saw one I liked and I bought it.  The photo in the auction didn't make it all that clear, but something caught my eye on the right of the dial.  Look close... it's the fingerstop bracket of a No. 2 dial. 

So I got the dial for way less than what I would have had to spend for a No. 2.  Being mounted to a switchboard type mount, I figured it would not be a standard dial that would have been used on residential phones, and I was right.  It's a "2 EA." 

Now, I have no real use for a No. 2 dial, because I don't have a dial desk stand or a B-mount, and probably won't get one any time soon.  So that brings me to my question:  Does anybody think that this dial would be as collectible as a "standard" No. 2?  I'm wondering because I'd like to try to shift it on eBay to possibly finance a couple No. 4 dials, which I definitely could use.  Any thoughts?

= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

What is the difference between a standard #2 and a #2AE???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I know almost nothing about the No. 2 dial.  I think they're either marked "2A" or "2AA."  That's the range of my knowledge of 'em. ;D

I can tell you that this one is LOUD.  I oiled the bearing points, and it's still REALLY loud.  They do clickity-clack like crazy.  It's just like a sound effect phone dial from an old radio show.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I know very little about the #2's either.  But just the other day a guy on the list offered 3 of them for sale.  One was a 2AE.  Did you see that?  Let me see if I can find what he was asking and I'll get back with you.

Added Info:  Turns out that was a 2AE A.  He was asking $250 for it.

For a 2AB he wanted $150
For a 2AA he was asking $150
For a 2AB A he was asking $150

So the 2AE A seems to be the most valuable.  Those had no notch for the dial plate.

Look here for information on those #2's:

http://atcaonline.com/phone/dials.htm
I think you have the right idea.  If you don't have a use for it and can get a good price then you'll be able to buy what you want.  Nice grab!

bingster

That's an excellent article in the link, Dennis.  Thanks for posting it.  It makes my decision easier to know that the dial was only used in a central office setting, and wouldn't be correct for a regular telephone anyway.
= DARRIN =