News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picked up a "telephone seat/table" yesterday

Started by eagle, March 27, 2022, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle

My grandfather had a "telephone chair" or "telephone table," whatever one would call this, and my parents brought it when they came for a visit yesterday.  This was at his house for as long as I can remember, and since I'm the only one in the family who cares about phones and phone-related things, it is now mine.  I also have that very phone that sat on the table connected to this seat (shown in pic).  There is a small shelf below the phone shelf.

I'll need to restore the seat cover, but otherwise it's in decent shape.  I just need to figure out where I'm going to keep it, because my mancave is getting full, and "somewhere else in the house" has zero WAF.  8)

I thought there might be a few others here who could appreciate this.

FABphones

Traditionally these were most often placed in the entrance hallway (in the UK usually under the stairs) where the one ringing phone could be heard from all rooms. The hallway offered a quiet place to have a conversation whilst being cold enough to keep the chat short!  ;D

Recovering a seat pad is an easy job, I found this 'how to' clip for you. Very similar to the method I was taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzByZWKL1o

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

eagle

Thanks - in my grandfather's house it was centrally located in the one hallway in the house, in a corner that was very suited to this table.  The phone was wired to the house, and after the line was cut and the phone given to me, I added the 4-prong connector you see in the pic.

countryman

Seat/desk combinations of this type were common around the world and nice specimens are worth keeping, especially if family memories are involved.

eagle

Quote from: countryman on March 27, 2022, 05:23:21 PM
Seat/desk combinations of this type were common around the world and nice specimens are worth keeping, especially if family memories are involved.
Yes, I was so glad to learn that my mother's cousin had kept it -- we thought it was lost forever.  It was only found a year or two ago, when my mother's cousin moved, and it made its way to me over that year. :)

MMikeJBenN27