News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this handset?

Started by HowardPgh, February 06, 2012, 12:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I bought this interesting metal handset with a dial in it on ebay. It seems to be a complete telephone with the dial, induction coil type receiver, and presumably a transmitter which is missing. The ring on the receiver end acts as a hookswitch.  I figure that it s an Automatic Electric product. I would like to know what the transmitter end looked like so I can find the parts.
Howard

G-Man

Quote from: HowardPgh on February 06, 2012, 12:33:34 AM
I bought this interesting metal handset with a dial in it on ebay. It seems to be a complete telephone with the dial, induction coil type receiver, and presumably a transmitter which is missing. The ring on the receiver end acts as a hookswitch.  I figure that it s an Automatic Electric product. I would like to know what the transmitter end looked like so I can find the parts.
It's an early Automatic Electric buttset used by outside repairmen to troubleshoot problems. I believe there is a file in the TCI Library for it.

paul-f

Here's a similar set with the transmitter and mouthpiece in place.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

Nice butt...  ;)

(I had to be the one to say it, didn't I?? :D )

paul-f

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Here are some photos showing the parts and transmitter.  (This transmitter is dated 1924.)

Finding the parts, especially the transmitter, may be quite a challenge.  Good luck in your search!

And I agree completely -- this is one of the nicer butt sets out there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HowardPgh

Thank you Paul-F  That is exactly what I was looking for.
Howard

AE_Collector

Welcome to the Rotary Forum! (Possibly another AE fan?)

I think I recall seeing that butt set on ebaY recently.

I also saw your Avatar on ebaY recently. Did you buy that advertising item as well?

Terry

HowardPgh

AE Collector I like all of the old rotary sets from candlestick to pre-1950 combined sets.
The majority of phones I have are AE and WE of course, but I also have SC and Kellogg (one day I hope to get the dial Grabaphone!) and some older foreign sets.
As for the avatar, that is a scan of a blotter that I have had for years.
Howard

AE_Collector

Quote from: HowardPgh on February 07, 2012, 12:13:14 AM
As for the avatar, that is a scan of a blotter that I have had for years.

Oh a blotter, now I recall that from the ebaY listing. One was on ebaY recently and I had never seen that item before.

Terry

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

This is not a buttset, it is an AE "Hand Telephone".

Jack

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 30, 2019, 08:54:47 AM
This is not a buttset, it is an AE "Hand Telephone".

Jack

I would like to hear both sides of this dispute, is it a "Hand Telephone", OR is it a "Buttset". Or are they both the same item, just designated a different name by their perspective companies of origination ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Regardless of which it is, boy my joke was terrible...  ;D

countryman

7 years later and I'm still LMAO  :) ;D ;)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 30, 2019, 01:12:16 PM
I would like to hear both sides of this dispute, is it a "Hand Telephone", OR is it a "Buttset". Or are they both the same item, just designated a different name by their perspective companies of origination ?

D/P
I have always been under the assumption that a handset with dial and clips is a linesman's test set.
AKA a GOAT (Get On Any Terminal).
The Harris lineman test set is properly called a Buttinski (Butt set for short). It is my understanding that the inventor was Mr. Buttinski.
Somewhere I have a cut sheet from Harris-Dracon that calls the TS21 a Buttinski. That is why I kept it.

I think Butt set /Buttinski is proper for a WE test set.
AE probably used  their own terms such as "hand telephone"

Just my Input.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.