News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

some new stuff from my collection. never seen before...

Started by dhilarious, July 19, 2012, 05:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilarious

Ok,

This should be the easy part, does anyone  know what dial this is?  I have alot of WE #4 dials and I love how they sound, however this beats it hands down. the best sounding dial i have.

Anyone ever see this phone?    It does look like some sort of test equipment.  I love how the dial sounds.

DavePEI

Quote from: dhilarious on July 19, 2012, 05:46:15 PM
Ok,

This should be the easy part, does anyone  know what dial this is?  I have alot of WE #4 dials and I love how they sound, however this beats it hands down. the best sounding dial i have.

Looks to be a switchboard type dial. Is the finger slot slanted? If so that is what it is. You will also find it turns faster than a normal dial by design. That is why the difference in sound.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

If it's 20pps, then a Panasonic KX-T308 or 616 can actually work with that, which is handy if you have such dials...  ;D

dhilarious

the finger stop is angled and the dial does turn about 2 times as fast as a regular dial.

Interesting.

G-Man

Western Electric 6-type dial (6E?) in a switchboard dial mounting, mounted on a (Stromberg Carlson??) subset or ringer box; a frankenphone concoction.

If it is a subset, then it may be used with a manual instrument to dial out with.

Is the curved finger-stop stamped?

dhilarious

This was made by stromberg carlson, there is no doubt.  The collector i got this from had worked for them in rochester so he had alot of stuff that maybe you dont see every day.

If you look at the neck coming up and the way the bakelite is made, no non company could manufacture this back in the day.  If someone had hacked this together, it would have been very obvious.

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 19, 2012, 06:02:10 PM
If it's 20pps, then a Panasonic KX-T308 or 616 can actually work with that, which is handy if you have such dials...  ;D

Or if your local CO happens to be a 5 X-Bar OR Panel you are also in luck.  :)

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: dhilarious on July 19, 2012, 07:40:11 PM
This was made by stromberg carlson, there is no doubt.  The collector i got this from had worked for them in rochester so he had alot of stuff that maybe you dont see every day.

If you look at the neck coming up and the way the bakelite is made, no non company could manufacture this back in the day.  If someone had hacked this together, it would have been very obvious.

Remove the horseshow shapped bracket (52D) and/or the dust cover and you will see it is a Western Electric 6-type dial mounted on a Stromberg-Carlson subset or ringer.

Also it has a Western Electric switchboard (plastic) mounting for the dial.

Again, is the finger-stop stamped?

Please take additional photos of the dial once you remove the bracket and dust cover.

Thanks

dhilarious

I think there was a time when s/c did not even make dials.

I will admit  I know nothing about nothing, but I have subsets and things from this guy that are still in original packaging never used...there is a 687A in this group for example.  So I dont think this guy would have done that, but who knows.

Doug Rose

This was done by someone to add a dial and a ringer to a stick or similar phone without a ringer or dial. If it is marked on the fingerstop, it would have a "6" stamped on it. Its a #6 dial with an operators fingerstop. ...Doug
Kidphone

dhilarious

I think its a stromberg carlson ringer box with a hand built neck and a #6 WE dial that sounds better and spins faster than a #6 dial :)

G-Man

Actually it is not a "NECK," instead it is a mounting cup made specifically for mounting a dial onto a switchboard shelf or similar surface.

Again, is the finger-stop stamped? If so, what is the number on it? Is it 6E (20pps) or similar? If not, if you remove the dust-cover and/bracket
you should be able to see the model number and date of manufacture. Photos would be appreciated.

By the way, curved finger-stops were also used on some 5-type dials when used
on subscriber or pbx switchboards.

Also, have you opened the box it is mounted to so you can see if it is a subset or simply a ringer box? As I stated in my earlier post,
if it is a subset, then it may be used with a manual instrument to dial out with.

Since Rochester, New York, the home of Stromberg Carlson, was served by a Western Electric No. 5 Crossbar, it could have been used there.

Because Stromberg Carlson was manufacturing their own dials by the time the 6-type dial was introduced, it is unlikely to have been assembled by the factory.

Thanks

dhilarious

It says 6.  Im going to sell it and forget about it...

G-Man

As you wish but it would help you to fetch a higher price and alleviate any arguments with the buyer if you were to correctly identify it.

Especially if the buyer did not realize the contacts are configured for a switchboard and not a telephone set.
The 20-pps may also prove to be problematic in some instances if the buyer is not informed prior to its sale.

Also, I stated that the curved finger-stop was used on switchboards but failed to mention they are also found
on some 3-slot payphones and other instruments as well.

Thanks

DavePEI

Quote from: dhilarious on July 19, 2012, 11:15:30 PM

It says 6.  Im going to sell it and forget about it...

Actually better to separate the subset, and dial and dial turrett. Those can be hard to find, and lots of people with a switchboard would kill to get the dial/turrett, or keep it as a curiosity. As you say, they are nice sounding dials. And there will be people wanting the subset as a subset.

The subset portion likely has only 4 holes in it, and these should be small enough to fill for resale.

The important thing, as mentioned above is to accurately describe what you are selling. You do have an interesting adaptation of the dial and subset, and perhaps it might have been built up to use as a test instrument. However, it is made from the stock parts as mentioned. Sometimes these adaptations can be of just as much interest as a "manufactured" phone, if you can determine why the device was made.

I have two of these dials and turretts, one on my 555 switchboard, and one on my 1240 switchboard.

The mount or tower is designed so that it can be easily detached from a switchboard for moving or servicing - the metal plate/contact portion is screwed into the desk, and then the rest snaps on to the plate.

Interestingly, the wiring harness used in the turrett wasn't sold as part of either the dial or turrett - it was needed but sold seperately.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001