News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is it? 4 ft. tall cast iron object

Started by Sargeguy, April 20, 2015, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I turned the 'what is it?' into 'where is it?' and took a virtual drive around the Wayland Square area and I found it, in front of the Red Stripe Restaurant at 465 Angell across from Starbucks.  This photo sort of gives a sense of scale to it.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Ah Ha!!

There's now no question in my mind that this is a railing post. Take a look at this railing attachment that's used at my school. Look familiar? I did a double-take when I walked past it on the way to Study Hall!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

The post is in an area with no parking so I pull over and jump out of my car and snap a couple of shots.  This time I brought my real camera.  There is no place for a ring, and since it is not round I do not think it is a hitching post.  As you can see there are three railing seats on the side facing the sidewalk, and one larger one parallel with the street sidewalk.  There are none on the other two sides, and no sign of there ever having been any.  The surrounding sidewalk shows no trace of any other posts.  The Red Stripe building has undergone significant alterations to it's facade in recent years.  The three rails would have blocked pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk if they were straight, so they must have come out and bent at a right angle.  Unless the sidewalk was considerably wider in the past I do not think there would have been space for a staircase.  The top of the lowermost flower has been sawn off, possibly making room for a step.  I wonder if it was part of a raised platform for ladies to board the trolley?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

Whatever it was in the past, it is now a piece of modern art today.  That is my take on it.

NorthernElectric

A couple of comments/questions/possibilities:

1.  Though rust stained, the concrete pad on which the object is mounted does not appear to be very old.
2.  What is the brass? item inlaid into the sidewalk a few inches to one side.  The plaque or tag on the top?  Clues perhaps?
3.  The object actually appears to be right on the boundary between 465 and 463.  There was a private school at 463 established in 1926.  Possibly a schoolyard fence post?
4.  The light standard base at the opposite corner of #463 looks different from the other light standard bases in the neighbourhood.  Is it possible that the object was relocated to the opposite corner and a light standard erected in it's original location?

Cliff

19and41

My guess is that it was originally a hydrant, not a fire hydrant but one to supply a horse trough.  We had a couple on the courthouse square in the area where I grew up.  They had water service so they were converted to water fountains.  There's no having a public water fountain in a large city these days, but a post will keep folks from jumping the curb to park.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

QuoteA couple of comments/questions/possibilities:

1.  Though rust stained, the concrete pad on which the object is mounted does not appear to be very old.
2.  What is the brass? item inlaid into the sidewalk a few inches to one side.  The plaque or tag on the top?  Clues perhaps?
3.  The object actually appears to be right on the boundary between 465 and 463.  There was a private school at 463 established in 1926.  Possibly a schoolyard fence post?
4.  The light standard base at the opposite corner of #463 looks different from the other light standard bases in the neighbourhood.  Is it possible that the object was relocated to the opposite corner and a light standard erected in it's original location?

1 I think the sidewalk was brick and was replaced by concrete in the 1930s.  The concrete base upon which the object stands is probably original.
2.  The brass thing is a standard water main shut-off.  I think it's actually cast iron.
3.  Probably not, a fence would block the sidewalk.  That would explain why there would be a trolley platform, to make it safer for children to board the streetcar. My mother, who grew up in the neighborhood and frequented the Newport Creamery that was at that location in 1950s-2000s, has no recollection of a school, or a trolley stand, staircase or fence.  So whatever it was, it had ceased to exist by the early 1950s.
4.  There was most likely an older streetlamp at that location when the sidewalk was brick.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

It appears that the city has preserved it for some reason.  Otherwise sidewalk paving projects over the years would have taken it out long ago.  Have you asked anyone in the city planning or public works about it?
-Bill G

Bill

Along the same line of thought ...
I'm sure that Providence has an active Historical Society of some kind. They would have the information, and might welcome the challenge. Historical Societies are usually staffed by volunteers, often retired folks with plenty of time, and with an interest in old stuff in their city. Getting someone in City Planning or Public Works interested is ... well, a different sort of challenge.

A quick search suggests the Rhode Island Historical Society or the Providence Preservation Society.

Bill

Sargeguy

Thanks, the RIHS library is a few blocks away from my house, but they never seem to be open.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409