News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill eBay - WE 5302

Started by Stormcrash, July 25, 2019, 02:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormcrash

I seriously doubt what I have is the right ring at all. It's just a rubber o ring that's smaller than the capsule and was sandwiched between it and the cap, it's only a little wider around than the holes on the capsule and not to the outer edge. Looking up online quickly it appears the correct adapter should wrap around the back side of the T1 capsule and extend it's diameter to fully fill the size of the transmitter cap. Someone must've bodged this together at some point, I'll try to put up some pictures of the transmitter and the dial later this evening

N7LTH

Excellent find! The 5302 is one of my favorites, I lost count of how many I have...

And greetings from up north here in Lynden. I used to live in Shoreline until 2004-
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

Stormcrash

Whelp mystery solved! I tried one more time shorting the microphone contacts and sure enough this time the line connected through! I bent the contacts up a little more and it's now giving a talkable connection, albeit not great. The capsule still shifts around causing some crackle, and the transmit volume is a bit loud on both ends. Thanks RotarDad, turns out you were right and saved me some grief opening up the dial. Now thought the quest begins for either the correct spacer or an F transmitter

RotarDad

Awesome Stormcrash!  I'm very pleased that my 3 hours of trial & error helped you too!  That's what makes the forum great.....
Paul

Stormcrash

Indeed it does, I probably would've spent forever futzing with the dial to no avail otherwise. Now it's on to the next problem, the receiver volume is very low/quiet, except for the sidetone from the T1 transmitter. I did a side by side with an 80E and the 5302 conferenced to a speakerphone and the 5302 with T1 it notably louder in both the HA1 and the receiving end. Meanwhile the far end can barely be heard on the HA1.

I don't know if the HA1 itself is at fault or if this is just another symptom of poor connection due to the loose T1 transmitter as that can slide and crackle since it doesn't have the size adapter. I did accidentally drop the HA1 and had it fall into the garbage disposal, but I quickly got it out and it visually looks fine. It could also just be a bad wire in the phone, one of them had insulation cracking pretty bad from a metal retaining bracket so I put a bunch of electrical tape over it to protect it, but it or another wire could be damaged already.

On a side note the first time I opened the phone up one of the bells had nearly come completely unscrewed, this poor phone must've taken a lot more internal wear than it's good looking exterior let on.

RotarDad

If you have one, swapping a complete known-good handset/cord can be a big help with trouble-shooting.  If the swap makes the phone work properly, then you swap individual pieces from your original handset into the good replacement until you identify the specific issue.  I know your handset has a less-common adapter which might make swapping parts a bit harder, but you could still see if a different earpiece or mouthpiece improves the performance.

With old stuff like we're working with, cords can often have issues as well.  I've found cord issues caused by poor connections where the spade lugs are crimped to the wire - a careful additional squeeze on the crimp sometimes improves this issue.
Paul

HowardPgh

This is a picture of a T1 installed in an F4 handset on my 202/685 phone. I think it would be easier to find an F1 capsule to fit in your handset since it is basically the same as a normal 302 phone. If you are dealing with a #6 dial make sure none of the spade lugs are touching each other or an adjacent terminal on the dial, everything is so close together on those. Same goes for the handset cord at the handset end. Is your coil cord a 4 wire cord?
Howard

Stormcrash

It is a number 6 dial. I don't think any of the spade connectors are touching except for the one terminal that has two wires going to it. I'll check if it's a 4 conductor cord next time I open it