News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - December 2018

Started by Jim Stettler, November 30, 2018, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - December 2018   *** Vote for Two ***

Fabius's Western Electric 555 PBX switchboard  $0+$41 gas  $12 labor lunch -- Facebook
19 (47.5%)
Vern P's White 500U $27.00 -- Antique shop
23 (57.5%)
magicbrain's WE 532 A/B Oxford Gray painted light gray   $39.99 + $20.00 shipping. -- eBay
16 (40%)
phr34k5how lighted sign $10.00 -- Antique shop
10 (25%)
Jim S.'s White 211 no handset  $59.99 and $12.99 shipping -- eBay
7 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jim Stettler

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.
7) If the item is very cool to you for personal reasons, please share. This would be  your collection, birthday phone, phones from youth, basically, Why is that phone extra cool to you.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

I nominate my Western Electric 555 PBX switchboard. A member of the ATCA Facebook page posted that he saw the switchboard listed in the Grand Rapids Michigan Craigslist with an price of $50. Called the owner and told him I'd take it. When I got to his place (today) he let me have it for free as long as I promised I wasn't going to scrape it. Cost: $0 for board, $41 in gas and $12 for lunch at McDonalds for my 2 helpers (son-in-law and grandson) I will post in the switchoard section more details and pictures.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Vern P

Sorry, I don't see the new topic link.
This is my find for the month.  Took a weekend road trip.  Found in a antique shop.
White 500U (not a P/U) all the parts show this is the way it was installed in 1959, with good line cord. The color is next to mint.  Oh the price, $27. As you may remember I can't post photos, maybe someone can post a stock photo for me.

Vern

Vern P

Jim Stettler

Here is a 500U form the forum as a refrence
It is on a redtored thread.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4129.msg55008#msg55008
You live, You learn,

magicbrain

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21610.0

In the spirit of friendly competition, I'll nominate my WE 532 A/B Oxford Gray painted light gray bought on ebay for $39.99 + $20.00 shipping.

Bruce

Vern P

Nice find, 532 hard to find in colors. Any chance of stripping the paint off ?
Vern

Jim Stettler

The deadline  for the find of the month is almost here. It would be nice to see some more nominations.
Each monthly winner, will be in the find of the year contest.
Jim

You live, You learn,

Hill Haven Telephone Company

My $10 Lighted Phone Sign found at an antiques store near Clare Michigan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on December 28, 2018, 07:24:40 PM

That is a good one. I would of bought it  for that price.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Fabius

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on December 28, 2018, 07:24:40 PM

Do you live in Michigan?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

Nice! I would have bought it at twice the price ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I will nominate my WE 211 in Factory  white. It is missing the handset and cord, However I have a replacement handset stashed away somewhere.
This phone was originally black and then painted white. There is a the G7 stamped in red. I don't know if the original factory sets were black and  painted in color, or if this set was  refurbished into a white set.

BIN $59.99 +12.99 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-BELL-SYSTEMS-SPACE-SAVER-PHONE-G7/362500561926

Jim S.

I have always liked the black 211 sets. When I was a kid,  there was a surplus store that had them mounted to  the check out counters. A friend of my mom's had one for a wall phone in their house.
You live, You learn,

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Quote from: Fabius on December 29, 2018, 11:42:39 AM
Do you live in Michigan?

Yup yup,  I used to be c64man on here a long time ago.  My fiance is a phone addict as well,  we live near clare

Fabius

Yup. Now I know who you are. I remember the telephone show over by Clare years ago. We still have our house in Stanwood.

Too bad Mt Pleasant lost it's antique malls.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905