News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE C\D 500 wiring question

Started by TerryNJ, December 16, 2013, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryNJ

I have a WE C\D 500 that won't ring.  I took a look at a wiring diagram and I think it's wired correctly but I am not (yet) savvy with this stuff.  I was hoping that somone can take a look at the photos of the terminals and let me know if it looks right.  Thanks in advance!

LarryInMichigan

Move the black wire from the ringer to the terminal with the green wire from the line cord.

Larry

Kenton K

It also looks like the wire restraint for the line cord is not hooked on to the base. There is a little hole on the base near the exit that the line cord hooks onto.

Ken.

TerryNJ

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 16, 2013, 10:41:39 AM
Move the black wire from the ringer to the terminal with the green wire from the line cord.

Larry

That worked...thanks.  Not sure how I missed that in the diagram.

TerryNJ

Quote from: Kenton K on December 16, 2013, 10:55:02 AM
It also looks like the wire restraint for the line cord is not hooked on to the base. There is a little hole on the base near the exit that the line cord hooks onto.

Ken.

Is that what you are referring to?  It appears that the "anchor" connected to the line cord is bent?

LarryInMichigan

The hooked metal part would normally go through the slot on the back edge of the base.

Larry

twocvbloke

That hook on the line cable attaches to a slot in the lip of the base plate where it enters the phone, the other bit riveted to the base is just to guide the line cable in as not to snag on the shell... :)

TerryNJ

OK.  So it's actually upside down in the pic.  I found the slot where it should go.  Is the hook bent or does that look OK?  

Another question, I took off the ring that holds the phone number label from the front of the phone...when trying to put it back on I broke one of the two tabs that holds it on.  Is there somewhere I can order a replacement ring?

Thanks.

twocvbloke

Quote from: TerryNJ on December 16, 2013, 11:45:05 AM
OK.  So it's actually upside down in the pic.  I found the slot where it should go.  Is the hook bent or does that look OK?

The hook looks fine to me, it's designed to be a tight fit so that it doesn't get yanked out when in use... :)

Phonesrfun

Another question, I took off the ring that holds the phone number label from the front of the phone...when trying to put it back on I broke one of the two tabs that holds it on.  Is there somewhere I can order a replacement ring?

Thanks.

I don't have any spares, but someone here might have one they'd send to you for next to nothing.  If that doesn't work, oldphoneworks.com has them.

Oh and by the way, the "hook" on the line cord, or the restraint, is not bent.  That is the proper shape.  The tab under the ringer mount which is currently holding the entire cord in place is only meant to hold some of the excess line cord wire in place on its way to the network.
-Bill G

TerryNJ

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 16, 2013, 12:12:05 PM

Thanks.

I don't have any spares, but someone here might have one they'd send to you for next to nothing.  If that doesn't work, oldphoneworks.com has them.

Oh and by the way, the "hook" on the line cord, or the restraint, is not bent.  That is the proper shape.  The tab under the ringer mount which is currently holding the entire cord in place is only meant to hold some of the excess line cord wire in place on its way to the network.

What is the correct term for what I need?  Thanks.

Phonesrfun

oldphoneworks calls them a dial card retainer ring.  Your is Western electric.

They have an original metal one catalog number 20152 that sells for $6.95 or they have a plastic reproduction for $2.35.

Here is a link to the metal one:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-dial-card-retainer-ring-black.html
-Bill G