"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie post - Stromberg Carlson Fatboy

Started by victrolatim, December 31, 2013, 05:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victrolatim

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Stromberg Carlson 1212 (Fatboy) from an antique shop, ready to add to my collection of vintage functional devices. Everything looked great except the wiring is pretty much all gone (for $30 I figured I'd give it a shot). There is a little schematic which came inside the phone and it doesn't look like too bad of a job. This may sound a tad elementary but I am wondering what gauge wire I need to get and where to find it. I'm assuming I won't be able to find all of the different colors called for in the schematic. I have included some pictures here:

LarryInMichigan

A SC "Fatboy" for $30 is a good deal.  I cannot imagine what sort of twisted mind would remove all of the wiring.  At any rate, rewiring the phone should not be terribly difficult.  Just about any wire would work. 

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: victrolatim on December 31, 2013, 05:32:44 PM
Hello all,

I recently picked up a Stromberg Carlson 1212 (Fatboy) from an antique shop, ready to add to my collection of vintage functional devices. Everything looked great except the wiring is pretty much all gone (for $30 I figured I'd give it a shot). There is a little schematic which came inside the phone and it doesn't look like too bad of a job. This may sound a tad elementary but I am wondering what gauge wire I need to get and where to find it. I'm assuming I won't be able to find all of the different colors called for in the schematic.

There's another topic about this phone here : http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3488.0

Phonesrfun

Inside the phone, any small gauge wire will do.  Get a chunk of cat 3 or cat 5 inside wire from any IT technician  I don't know how many individual wires you will need inside the SC, but probably less than 10, and any one given wire would be less than 9 or 10 inches in length.  There are usually 8 conductors inside a cat 3 or cat 5 sheath, so a chunk 2 feet in length will be more than sufficient.  You probably can't buy that small a piece from any where, so that is why I suggest you find someone who will give you a piece.

Color is only important for keeping things straight.  Colors come in awful handy for that.  If you can, try to use wire strands that have colors that somewhat match the colors on the wiring diagram.  It will help keep confusion down.

Solid copper wire is easy to use.  Just bare the end of each piece and bend it around the screw head and tighten.  It is always preferable to bend the wire in the direction of tightening the screw so the wire does not come off while you screw it down.  Try not to have a bare end any longer than about 1/2 inch.  If it is too long, you risk having the excess touch over to another terminal accidentally.

It would not be cost effective to have the wires for the inside of the phone custom made, and nobody that I know of has kits for the inside of the phone.  Hopefully components such as the ringer and the capacitors that have hard-wired leads soldered to them have not been cut, otherwise you will need to do a little soldering.

I cannot tell from the very teeny pictures you posted whether you need a handset or line cord.  It looks like you did not use the photo attachment feature of the forum to attach your pictures.  Perhaps you could post larger photos by using the attach photo feature.

Handset and line cords can be ordered from oldphoneworks.com

-Bill G

Contempra

hello.. to the moderators :When you " EDIT " a message ,Please have the obligation to mention what change you by editing a message. It would be nice on your part. This is done on all kind of forums. Thank you.;)

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on January 01, 2014, 01:36:28 PM
hello.. to the moderators :When you " EDIT " a message ,Please have the obligation to mention what change you by editing a message. It would be nice on your part. This is done on all kind of forums. Thank you. ;)
Nothing was changed in your post. Only the large image in the quoted section was removed, as you  not only copied the original poster's text, but his image. Quoting has to be controlled, especially when images are also quoted.Your post was unchanged other than the removal of the quoted image. There was no need to quote the image, as it was located only two messages below.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Okay Dave.. but I don't know how to resize the images.. :)

AE_Collector

This forum doesn't seem to have provision for posting a reason for edits whether moderators or original poster. Maybe it is an option with the new software that can be enabled? The line is automatically added showing that it was edited but no ability to add an explanation which leaves the only option to edit in an explanation. This of course is more work for moderators who are trying to keep things neat and tidy by removing unnecessary quotes from posts etc. A balancing act of sorts!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on January 01, 2014, 02:29:07 PM
Okay Dave.. but I don't know how to resize the images.. :)
Hi Denis:

The problem as such isn't resizing them - it is deleting them in quoted portions. To remove an image that gets quoted, you need to click on it, and then press CTRL x which will delete it from the quote. The problem is the new software is allowing externally linked images to be part of the message body, rather than to be added in the proper place, using Attachments and Other Options.

As a result, the full image gets copied into the quoted reply. Dennis is working on some guidelines for people, as well as help for editing quoted text which hopefully will give people a better idea of how to cut the quotes down to what is absolutely needed.

It will basically be a "How to" primer...

Anyway, I am not going to write more tonight. I spent the last 6 hours in Emergency at the local hospital and haven't eaten yet. I will be back there at least for a couple of hours a day for the next week, it looks like...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Okay I understand Dave and teleplay has sent me a private message :).

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 31, 2013, 06:11:29 PM
...  I cannot imagine what sort of twisted mind would remove all of the wiring. ...

Larry

Maybe they were prepping it to be a lamp but were struck dead by lightening!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e