News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you hook up a ringer to AE payphone

Started by darticus, October 12, 2017, 06:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Seems your does not have the modular jack. In the better (more colorful image from another source)  picture attached, the red and green wires from the jack would attach to the network.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/732-501-251-100-i8-jun70-e1-type-ringers

The above  link is all about this extension ringer and the attached diagram is from that TCI document.

Looks like red and green from the line cord are attached to terminals 5 and 6.

darticus

Quote from: TelePlay on October 24, 2017, 05:28:49 PM
Seems your does not have the modular jack. In the better (more colorful image from another source)  picture attached, the red and green wires from the jack would attach to the network.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/732-501-251-100-i8-jun70-e1-type-ringers

The above  link is all about this extension ringer and the attached diagram is from that TCI document.

Quote from: TelePlay on October 24, 2017, 05:28:49 PM

Thanks but very hard for a newbie to see where the wires go. I know the red and green of the phone go somewhere and the red and green of the line go somewhere. I think thats all it is but where do they go on my pic????
You say 5 and 6 go to line red and green but where does the red and green of the phone go? Thanks Ron

TelePlay

Others who know better than I can correct me if I'm wrong.

The red and green of the line cord would go to L1 and L2 in the phone, whatever terminals that may be in the pay phone.

A two conductor wire, say red and black, would attach to the same terminals that the red and green line cord wires attach to (to L1 and L2) in the phone. The other end of the red and black wires would attach to Terminals 5 and 6 in the ringer.

It should be similar to the C4A ringer network  (EDIT: Not so, correct diagram posted below)

The ringing capacitor (internal between A and K on the C4A ringer diagram) is also internal in the EC1 network and connected between terminals 5 and 7. If the ringer you have is wired correctly, the ringer should ring on an incoming call.

Others who have more experience with this ringer are asked to correct any of this if I got it wrong.

It is an extension ringer and does not need the phone to ring. The phone is needed to signal the CO that the receiver was picked up and the ring voltage ended to the phone.

darticus

This little box has an inlet that says phone and a outlet saying line. That should mean both connect in this box. Thanks Ron

TelePlay

It's made as a pass through for a Princess phone. If you take the line into the ringer first, then you have to use the outlet to go to the phone. If you take the line first and run a wire to #5 & #6, then you do not need the outlet.

This box has more than needed to make a ringer ring for a pay phone. All that is needed is the black and red wired from the ringer being connected to line cord red and green and the slate and slate red wires of the ringer connect to each other with a capacitor. If you want to take the line cord to the ringer first, which I don't think they did with payphones since pay phones were meant to operate without a ringer, then you need to attach a modular cord to the outlet and the center two pair would be run to the phone and attached to where ever line cord red and green would have attached.

All of my extension ringers on princes and pay phones are not pass through. The phone's line is extended to the ringer so the phone will work, dial out and answer, without the ringer being present.

Another way to look at is this ringer could be connected to a wall jack in another room and the phone connected to another jack elsewhere. The ringer would ring until the phone was answered - an extension ringer. You are using an extension ringer right on the phone but it's the same thing as if in another room. Line cord to phone and the ringer input side connected to the same trerminals in the phone that have the line cord attached to them.

Now, didn't I do a good job of confusing you. I think poplar1 or others can say the same thing in 10 words or less - HELP!

darticus

I am totally confused.
I thought the phone would connect a red and green wire in this box at some numbered screws and the  line would connect in this box a red and green wire to two other numbered screws. As the box says one side phone wire and one side line wire.

I don't know if your saying connect the phone to the line in the house with a plug.  Than hook another wire to this box at two screws 5 and 6 and run another wire to the house phone line with a plug as before.  Two separate lines?? Ron

TelePlay

TelePlay

Yes, " . . . connect the phone to the line in the house with a plug (into the wall jack and spade lugs to the terminals inside the phone).  Then hook another wire (from the phone terminals where the wall cord is attached) to this box at two screws 5 and 6 . . . "

This ringer would then be at the end of the line, not in the middle.

I assume you would run a hidden wire from the phone to the ringer box coming in the back rather than using the modular jacks which would make the wire stand out.

All you need is a 2 conductor wire with spade lugs at each end to connect #5 in ringer to L1 in phone and #6 in ringer to L2 in phone.

darticus

Quote from: TelePlay on October 24, 2017, 07:02:19 PM
This help?

I think I got it.
You say to connect the red from the phone and the green from the phone to 5 and 6 of the box. Than connect red and green from the line to 5 and 6 of the box.  Keeping the same color to the same screw. Is this it? Ron

TelePlay

Quote from: darticus on October 24, 2017, 07:24:33 PM
I think I got it.
You say to connect the red from the phone and the green from the phone to 5 and 6 of the box. Than connect red and green from the line to 5 and 6 of the box.  Keeping the same color to the same screw. Is this it? Ron

You could do it that way. That would put the ringer between the wall jack and the phone so if the ringer went missing, the phone would not work. You would also have two wires going into / coming out of the ringer box.

Since payphones are attached to the phone line through the back plate from an opening in the wall, the other way is to connect the phone to the line directly through the back plate . . .

. . . and then run a pair of wires from the phone to the ringer hiding that wire as best possible (going through the mounting plate if there was an appropriate hole in the plate.

Exposed wires on payphones was not good in public situations. But, being in your home, such wire protection from vandalism is not that important.

You can wire it either way. Your way is line to ringer and then line to phone.

My way is line to phone and then line to ringer.

Colors to terminals don't mean anything, red and green are interchangeable on L1 and L2 and terminals #5 and #6. Color of wires does not matter either.

Either way will work, it's your choice. Sorry for confusing you.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on October 24, 2017, 07:02:19 PM
This help?

This is the correct diagram. Since the line, the ringer, and the phone are all wired in parallel, the line (from the wall jack, ATA, etc.) can be connected to 5 & 6 in the E1C first, or to L1 and L2 in the phone first.

Again, the C4A diagram does not apply. The line should not be connected directly to the black and red ringer wires in the E1C, Princess, or Trimline.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 25, 2017, 12:25:44 AM
This is the correct diagram. Since the line, the ringer, and the phone are all wired in parallel, the line (from the wall jack, ATA, etc.) can be connected to 5 & 6 in the E1C first, or to L1 and L2 in the phone first.

Again, the C4A diagram does not apply. The line should not be connected directly to the black and red ringer wires in the E1C, Princess, or Trimline.

Thanks, David. Yes, while it is similar, it is not correct and now with time, I've modified that diagram to match the EC1 wiring diagram. The similarity is that both ringers are 4 wire ringers but the connections are different, and quite simple on the EC1. Here it is:

===============

The red and green (L1 and L2) wires in parallel from the phone are attached to Terminals #5 and #6.

The slate and slat/red ringer wires are connected together on Terminal #1 of the EC1 network.

Ringer black wire is attached to Terminal #6

The ringer red wire is attached to Terminal #7

The internal capacitor is mounted between Terminals #5 and #7 completing the ring circuit.

===============

Now that I've had the time to modify the C4A ringer diagram, this should be correct and appropriate to the EC1 ringer.

darticus

Whatever whatever, It is hooked up using this diagram and working fine. I guess we can make this very confusing but actually it is very simple. Thanks all Ron

TelePlay

Glad to hear the ringer works. Sometimes the stuff on eBay not being tested comes in less than working state but WE stuff is rarely like that.

Post of picture of it mounted below, next to, your payphone.

Yes, I need to post technical stuff during the day and not the middle of the night, less words and more correct that way.