"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

308 or 616 for inhouse intercom only

Started by Dave, March 01, 2018, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hi all

I have been looking for a way to get past the two rotary dial phones with a battery and a resistor intercom for a couple of weeks. I have all these lovely Western Electric phones, and while I do still use a landline with a 500 here and a Princess there, I want to be able to use more of them as a in-home intercom system.

I started by looking at Viking line simulators, but after reading awhile found out they probably won't ring my old electro-mechanical phone ringers. Scratch Viking.

Then I read about a Teltone TLS-4. That seemed like a likely candidate. Then I came here and read about 308s and 616s. Hmmm!

It seems too good to be true. A box that will allow me to continue to use my landline plus let me play intercom king. Here's what I think I know. Would someone please tell me where I'm wrong in any of these 7 statements.

1. A 308/616 will let me continue to use my old phones on my existing landline as normal.
2. A 308/616 will let me hook up other of my old phones to use as a 8 / 16 extension in-house intercom system.
3. I can have it connected to do both of the above at the same time.
4. A 308/616 has the proper voltage and frequency to ring my electro-mechanical ringers with at least the strength of REN 1.
5. I can pick up a 500 in my office and ring the electro-mechanical ringers of a wall phone in the kitchen by keying in the ext #.
6. I can run phone line through the house, outbuildings, patio, etc and just wire the middle two connectors (R&G) of any RJ-11s I use.
7. I will be amazed that this works so well that I'll wonder why anybody spends the money it takes to buy a TLS-4.

Do I have all of that right?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

twocvbloke

1. Yep
2. Yep
3. Yep
4. Yep
5. Yep
6. Yep
7. Very much yep...  ;D

Dave

Oh, wait, I thought of another one.

8.  I can as easily dial an extension with my rotary phones as I can key them in with a push button phone.

Yes?

Dave

twocvbloke

Yep, on the north american Panasonics, it's 11 thru 18 or 26 (308/616) to dial other extensions (UK ones start at 21 thru 36), dial 9 for an outside line, or dial 81 thru 83 or 86 to choose a specific outside line... :)

AE_Collector

As for #6, I am always trying to do things once and be covered forever! Doesn't usually work but I keep trying.

I try to convince people running 2 Orr 4 pair runs to install double jacks on the end so you can also send the CO phone line to each location terminated on a jack. Why would you need that, you can dial 9 on any phone to get the CO line. So you can plug in an answering machine or a Call Display box at any location. Or plug in a more conventional telephone when someone is visiting who you can't be bothered to explain how it works yet again (parents).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=102.0

Terry

Dave

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 01, 2018, 10:21:02 PM
Yep, on the north american Panasonics, it's 11 thru 18 or 26 (308/616) to dial other extensions (UK ones start at 21 thru 36), dial 9 for an outside line, or dial 81 thru 83 or 86 to choose a specific outside line... :)

There's something I didn't know. Am I to understand that the 616 only allows 9 extensions (11 - 18 & 26) out of 16 total extensions to call other extensions? Or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

Babybearjs

;D ;D I've got a 207C 1A1 intercom with 9 active stations.... My roommate loves it.... always buzzing me in the front room to ask a question or something else.... will come in real handy when I get the workshop cleaned up and running again! good luck with yours!
John

Owain

Quote from: Dave on March 02, 2018, 01:37:39 AM
There's something I didn't know. Am I to understand that the 616 only allows 9 extensions (11 - 18 & 26) out of 16 total extensions to call other extensions? Or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?

Yes, the 308 has 8 extensions 11-18, the 616 has 16 extensions 11-26

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dave on March 02, 2018, 01:37:39 AM

Minor misinterpretation, 8 extensions for the 308, 16 for 616, so starts at 11, and ends on 18 or 26 for 308 or 616 respectively... :)

Dave

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 02, 2018, 01:00:23 PM
Minor misinterpretation, 8 extensions for the 308, 16 for 616, so starts at 11, and ends on 18 or 26 for 308 or 616 respectively... :)

I understand now.

Something that's still not clear - these systems recognize pulse as well as tone?

twocvbloke

Dave

Fabulous.

I don't have crystal balls, but I suspect there is a large plastic box with the Panasonic name on it in my future.

twocvbloke

It's an inevitable purchase for most collectors, heck, I have both a 308 and 616, though the 308 was a mercy purchase as I wanted to save it from the bin... :)

oldguy

I also have both the 308 & 616. Get the 616, the 308 has polarity issues with WE2500s.
Gary

Dave

That's good to know. I think I have one beige 2500.

I've been looking at this one. Anyone know this guy or dealt with him before?