News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't dial 90# if asked to !!!!!!

Started by Dan/Panther, April 23, 2012, 01:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I don't know if this is legitimate or not. I got an email from another site I belong to that warns, if you get an email that asks you to dial a certain number, and go to extension 90#, the email warns that 90# will give that number access to your long distance provider via your phone service account ????
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

I doubt it.  Obviously, with caller ID they have your phone number just by you calling the number.  But "allowing" someone to suck your billing info from your LD provider By dialing a number?  I really don't think so.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Snopes says this has been around for 10 or more years, and was, to some degree, true, if you were calling from a PBX that was programmed to dump the LD billing code when one dialed 9 for an outside line, then 0 for long distance, then a # sign to key in the LD code.

Remember those codes of the olden days of MCI ?

So, at least from home you have nothing to worry about.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

I always heard it was in conjunction with a call into a PBX where he caller says he is with the Telco and doing some tests. He asks the receptionist or maybe any station on the system and asks them to dial something like 90# or maybe Flash and 90#. This gives them an outside trunk since 9 is usually the trunk access code in North America. The 0 then always takes a bit before it connects with an operator so they can either quickly add 11 for a 011 overseas toll call OR ask the operator to put them through to what ever they want once she comes on the line.

Terry