"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 27, 2013, 11:29:13 PM
Another thing to consider is that your auction ends during the first quarter of the Super Bowl, when most of America is preoccupied with watching football.  This has less impact on your item than it would a lower priced phone, especially in this age of smartphones and sniping apps.  But it can't help

Holy Carp! (stolen from Brinybay)
I didn't even think about that! I will try and change that now!
THANK YOU SARGE!
Practice Kindness :)

Sargeguy

Friday after payday around 9:30 EST is best
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

My husband wants me to keep it to Sunday. I will add that it is ending during Super bowl in my ad.
The timing just doesn't work. Oh well, thanks for trying to help me!  :o

AE_Collector

I always heard that Sundays were the best day to have auctions on ebaY end.  Good luck Maureen! I will  set up Auction Contest 83 right now.

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 27, 2013, 11:52:26 PM
I always heard that Sundays were the best day to have auctions on ebaY end.  Good luck Maureen! I will  set up Auction Contest 83 right now.

Terry

Yay! That will me more fun to watch than the actual Auction!
I will be right over to add my guess!

RotarDad

Hi Maureen - I was taking a look at your Picturephone auction (I never heard of such an item until you asked about yours), and I noticed that you placed your item in the following Ebay category:

Collectibles>Advertising>Communication & Utilities>Telephone

I believe that most phone collectors tend to monitor the below category (there are 3 date sections, but '40-'69 is right for your item).

Collectibles>Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone>Telephones>1940-69

I believe Ebay will allow you to include your item in more than one category at the same time if you want.  Just a thought to ensure you have good exposure for your very unique item.  Hope this helps!
Paul

MagicMo

Quote from: RotarDad on January 28, 2013, 12:58:18 AM
I believe Ebay will allow you to include your item in more than one category at the same time if you want.  Just a thought to ensure you have good exposure for your very unique item.  Hope this helps!

Thank You Rotar Dad! I just changed it. This is my first ebay Auction, I wasn't sure I was doing it right. Thanks for the info!!! much appreciated.

Thank you David

DavePEI

After seeing a number of TCI posts discouraging people from considering spending large amounts of money on Maureen's phone, I posted the following in the hopes it will encourage people to take the gamble:

ST-3183Bs were common TV monitor CRTs.

There are rebuilders still in business, including:

http://www.wmicronics.com/pictubesol.htm ( dead link 03-27-21 )

http://www.videodisplay.com/

http://www.thomaselectronics.com/services/crt_refurbishment.php

And I am told still several in Europe.

Also:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/crts.html
still stock a number of tubes - they might be able to cross
reference the tube.

Maureen, a while back, you mentioned you had a CRT there in your father's stuff. Does it appear to be the same size and shape as the one in the Picturephone? Even if not the same number, it could be a cross referenced tube, and could turn out to be an equivalent.

If so, what was the number on it, so I can see if I can find a cross reference to the Sylvania tube. Hopefully, that would help.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

kleenax

Quote from: MagicMo on January 28, 2013, 07:48:00 AM
Quote from: RotarDad on January 28, 2013, 12:58:18 AM

Thank You Rotar Dad! I just changed it. This is my first ebay Auction, I wasn't sure I was doing it right. Thanks for the info!!! much appreciated.

Thank you David

I just now saw the auction on eBay. Not to be critical, but where on earth did the $5000 starting bid come from?  If you really want to sell it, put a (reasonable) reserve on it and start the bid at something more realistic. The "buyer-beware" is just WAY to high with that much for a starting bid in my opinion, and I would doubt that you will get anyone to bid that high for it.

Been wrong before on auctions, but "kleenax" has been selling on eBay since 1997, and from what I have learned in that amount of time is that your odds are VERY low for selling it in this manner. People like to haggle a bit, and not be corralled into a "firm" price.

*Low starting bid (reserve if you must) - 5 day auction ending on a weekend = SUCCESSFUL SALE!*
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

MagicMo

Hi Kleenax,
I appreciate your thoughts, I know you are trying to guide me in the right direction but I believe I will have no problem selling this over the $5000 starting bid. If no one bids I keep it, win-win for me. "They" can haggle all they want above the $5000. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe your right but I have confidence it will exceed your/my expectations. Besides, I have  special powers that I have "called" upon to work their magic. Excuse me, I must now go change into my Wonder Woman costume-in my Picturephone booth nonetheless! I will make sure I have it in self view mode! LOL. So Kleenax, any chance you'll change your mind about that $0 bid guess? I have a feeling if you change your guess within a few hours someone will bid. Just saying.  ;D
~Maureen

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on January 28, 2013, 07:25:58 PM
Excuse me, I must now go change into my Wonder Woman costume-in my Picturephone booth nonetheless! I will make sure I have it in self view mode!
~Maureen
Ahh, can't we watch!  ;) Sorry, would super-impose a copy of this photo on the face of a Picturephone if I was better in Photoshop!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

kleenax

Quote from: MagicMo on January 28, 2013, 07:25:58 PM
Hi Kleenax,
I appreciate your thoughts, I know you are trying to guide me in the right direction but I believe I will have no problem selling this over the $5000 starting bid. If no one bids I keep it, win-win for me. "They" can haggle all they want above the $5000. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe your right but I have confidence it will exceed your/my expectations. Besides, I have  special powers that I have "called" upon to work their magic. Excuse me, I must now go change into my Wonder Woman costume-in my Picturephone booth nonetheless! I will make sure I have it in self view mode! LOL. So Kleenax, any chance you'll change your mind about that $0 bid guess? I have a feeling if you change your guess within a few hours someone will bid. Just saying.  ;D
~Maureen

Hehe, oh goodness; that sounds mysteriously like a "shill-bid" Maureen  ::)   Highly frowned upon by eBay........
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

MagicMo

Kleenax,
Shill bid? I had to google that because I had no idea what that meant. Heck no, all joking aside, I meant in a spiritual sense (my Dad, the big guy upstairs, etc.). I believe in the notion of Good things happen to good people.
Now that we got that out of the way, I'm still interested in your new guess. Hypothetically speaking, if for some reason someone bid on it over the $5000 starting bid, what do you think it would go for? C'mon, humor me. Pretty please?
~Maureen   

MagicMo

G-Man

Hmm... Looks like some serious bidding has started.

Seems to be ATCA and TCI members spearheading it.
So much for the nit-pickers and for all of the naysayers predictions.