"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE spacesaver 212 and 634A Sub-set

Started by DragonPhone, April 07, 2014, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonPhone

Hi Everyone,
First posting for me here in the forum.  Looking for assistance in wiring what I believe to be a Western Electric Spacesaver 212 to a 634A sub-set.  I have found diagrams for the 211 and other sub-sets but I run into the issue of not having the same conection labels on mine that are what I find online.  So instead of trying connections randomly I thought I would see if anyone help me out.

The phone and sub-set are from my father-in-laws workshop.  He spent 40 years working for Ma Bell, CenturyTel and whatever else they were named over the years.  He passed away just a couple years ago.  Last of a breed, started out as a linesman climbing poles and ended as one of the very last servicers of payphones in northeast Wisconsin.  I am sure he could have wired this with eyes closed by touch alone.  Not being able to turn and ask him what to do still makes me sad.

I was able to get the phone to give me a dial tone by hooking it directly to the incoming line.  But of course the preference would be to have it on its own sub-set.   Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in getting this up and running.

Here is what I can tell you about what I have.  I believe that this is a 212 but I am not 100% sure on that.  The phone has a G7 body with 43A below the front dial.  On the inside of the body where the contacts are there is a stamp "II 61".  Inside of the dial it is labeled 6A-3  2-61  and then stamped into the metal is P-339952.  The sub-set is labeled inside with dark orange painted lettering reading 634-A. (no paper label)

Here is a rundown of the wiring connections:

Inside of the Dial:
BB ---goes down to--- W
B ---goes down to--- BL
W --- goes to handset--- W
Y ---goes down to--- BK
R ---Nothing connected

Handset connections:
4 wires coming out of Handset into body of phone:
W --- going to R in body of phone
W --- going to W in Dial
B --- going to B in body of phone
R --- going to R in body of phone

Inside of the body of the phone (switch hook side):

On your left:
RR --- (I believe this should be wired to go to L1 in sub-set)
YT --- (no idea what should be wired here, currently black colored stub of an old wire attached)
YY --- (has two screw connections.  no idea what should be wired here, currently yellow colored stub of an old wire attached)

On your right:
GN --- (I believe this should wired to the GN on the induction coil of the sub-set.  However there is also a GN on the upper wooded bar of the sub-set but that only looks like it would be a bridge connection and is not directly hooked up to anything)
W --- (This is hooked up to the W up in the Dial)
Y ---  (thinking that this should be going to the L2 of the sub-set)
BK --- (has two screw connections.  Currently has one of the screws connected directly to the Y of the Dial)

On the side opposite of the switch hook: (these look to all just be bridging connections)
BL --- (has two screw connections.  One connected directly to the B up in the Dial.  Other screw has a stub of old green wire attached)
R --- (has two screw connections.  One connected directly to the Red and one of the White wires coming out of the handset.  I believe that the other open screw should be connected to the R on the induction coil of the sub-set.)
B --- (has two screw connections.  One connected directly to the B up in the Handset and I believe the free screw should be connected to the B in the sub-set)

Sub-set connections:
On the induction coil: C, L1, L2, R, GN
On the wooden bar at top: K, B, GN (along with other labels for holes that don't have screws for mounting wires)

Photos of the phone & sub-set included.  Those will show the wiring I described along with what I had connected already as I was trying to figure things out.

Hopefully i have not transposed any lettering above but the pictures won't lie.

Again, any help is appreciated.

poplar1

Try running a short piece of wire between B and BL terminals to left of hook switch.

Also, you don't need to connect anything to RR, YT or YY.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DragonPhone

Poplar1,
Sheesh, what a simple fix.  I just took the little green stub that was already on the BL, stripped the end and attached it to the B.  Tested and it will now make and receive calls!  Has a very nice ring to it.  Now I have to decide where to mount the sub-set.

Thanks!

Question:  Can I hook up more than one phone to the subset?

poplar1

The problem with connecting two phones to this type subset is that when only one phone is off-hook, both transmitters will be connected. So the transmitter in the hung up phone will pick up room noise.

There are extra contacts in your 212 which can be used to eliminate the problem on that phone. Just move the two wires that are now on R terminal, one to YY and the other to YT. That will disconnect the red handset wire except when that phone is off-hook.

What is the other phone you want to connect? You may have to improvise a way to disconnect the red lead from the subset in that phone, except when the phone is off-hook. It's probably easier to do with a 202 than with a candlestick.

DragonPhone

Poplar1,
Thanks again.  Your answer also answers the question in my head as to what those other connections YY/YT would be used for. 

I am planning to use another of the same type of spacesaver.  My father-in-law left me 2 with dials and another that only has the handset on the body, no dial.

I was planning to install them in my basement, one in my workshop and another in the play room.  They would just be there for looks and to provide a quick way to answer a call in the basement when the cordless is upstairs.

Based on you comment I would need to wire each of the phones with the YY/YT to prevent hearing room noise on the other phone. Correct?

Thanks!

poplar1

Yes, wire both phones the same way. Opening the red lead will open the transmitter except when the phone is in use.

DragonPhone

Thanks for the assistance in getting this hooked up.  I currently have the one phone hooked to the Sub-set.  Will be getting to the other handset install after the payphone project. 

Here are a couple pictures of the phone mounted and in service.