Automatic Electric N800 C50 Won't Ring

Started by debeaune, April 18, 2014, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Will this suffice for a capacitor?

CAPACITOR POLYESTER .47uF RADIAL NON-POLARIZED

Please ID leads need to?  Thanks...Tim

TelePlay

I would think so. It was interesting in that the Amazon heading says "polarized" but when you go to the link, the item itself is described as "non=polarized," what you want.

I have some just like it I bought at Radio Shack for a lot more money.

Go to the eBay main page and search for this ".47uf capacitor 250" to see what's out there for a lot less with free shipping.

Here's 33 of them for $8.45 including shipping.

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on April 22, 2014, 09:45:10 PM
I would think so. It was interesting in that the Amazon heading says "polarized" but when you go to the link, the item itself is described as "non=polarized," what you want.

I have some just like it I bought at Radio Shack for a lot more money.

Go to the eBay main page and search for this ".47uf capacitor 250" to see what's out there for a lot less with free shipping.

Curiously, Radio shack has change his name for " La source " in the Québec province some years ago ...I don't know for you in the other provinces...

Scotophor

Quote from: poplar1 on April 22, 2014, 10:08:32 AMThe "line compensating rheostat" should not affect the ringer one way or another. The ringer circuit is independent of the rheostat.

My mistake, I thought it was a ringer volume control :-[ .
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Scotophor

Quote from: debeaune on April 22, 2014, 08:23:17 PMWill this suffice for a capacitor?  http://www.amazon.com/CAPACITOR-POLYESTER-47UF-RADIAL-POLARIZED/dp/B007Z7N1I4

Please ID leads need to?
Yes, that capacitor should be fine. See photo below for where to solder it on.

TelePlay

Quote from: Scotophor on April 22, 2014, 11:13:31 PM
See photo below for where to solder it on.

Wouldn't you first test the cap addition to see if it worked by using alligator clip test leads first? Before soldering?

Scotophor

Quote from: TelePlay on April 22, 2014, 11:27:41 PM
Quote from: Scotophor on April 22, 2014, 11:13:31 PM
See photo below for where to solder it on.
Wouldn't you first test the cap addition to see if it worked by using alligator clip test leads first? Before soldering?
I wouldn't, but there's no harm in your advising debeaune to do so. Whether it "works" alone as a means to get the ringer to function on 20 Hz or not, it should improve the armature amplitude. Then there will be less work to do (if anything else is needed) to weaken the reed, etc.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Contempra on April 22, 2014, 09:49:44 PMCuriously, Radio shack has change his name for " La source " in the Québec province some years ago ...I don't know for you in the other provinces...

I think it's known in all of Canada as The Source (Or La Source in french-speaking provinces), someone in Ontario I know used to do a weekly "flyer day" on youtube and The Source always featured in them... :)

debeaune

Stub, John, great inputs thank you.  Yeah, have a bunch of Radio shack caps just gonna miss them if they ever go, really no where else around here to get those types of items. Tim

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 23, 2014, 12:13:04 AM
Quote from: Contempra on April 22, 2014, 09:49:44 PMCuriously, Radio shack has change his name for " La source " in the Québec province some years ago ...I don't know for you in the other provinces...

I think it's known in all of Canada as The Source (Or La Source in french-speaking provinces), someone in Ontario I know used to do a weekly "flyer day" on youtube and The Source always featured in them... :)

Probably yes twocvbloke..but I don't know exactly why they changed the name for " La source " but I know that in Québec, a lot of peoples like his french language and sometime a little much...Concerning me, I don't care if it's Radio shack or La source, no difference because it's the same store.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Contempra on April 23, 2014, 09:20:27 AMProbably yes twocvbloke..but I don't know exactly why they changed the name for " La source " but I know that in Québec, a lot of peoples like his french language and sometime a little much...Concerning me, I don't care if it's Radio shack or La source, no difference because it's the same store.

They probably did it to split the company up, separating them to form the two companies, one for the US, one for Canada, they used to be here in the UK many years ago as Tandy stores, but they disappeared in the 90's, though reading up on that reveals why they renamed Radio Shack in Canada to The/La Source, as the competition (Circuit City) bought out the Canadian Radio Shack stores and renamed them to "The Source by Circuit City" and latterly dropping the "By Circuit City" part, as described in the 2nd to last paragraph here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation#Tandy_stores

Confusing, but, that's how it happened it seems... :)

debeaune

Its a miracle! I set up a cap in-line, 1uF 240V in parallel with existing cap, see pic.  Didn't touch the reed and now it rings like mad.  Problem is, not sure if I mis-wired something, no problem calling out, works fine Bt on some incoming calls, it drops off or no sidetone, does it look like I wired this baby correctly?  Seems it may be my alarm system, I can call in on this phone via my cell, rings, I answer, do voice test works fine.  I hang up, call right back, rings, then alarm system answers, puzzling. Tim

Scotophor

I can't tell from your photos where the various wires go, but the blue cap you show is definitely not physically connected to where I showed it in post #34, though it may be electrically equivalent.

In your previous photo 002.jpg, it looked like the green ringer wire connected to the white ringing condenser wire (condenser in series with ringer). In your latest photos, it looks like the green ringer wire and the white condenser wire are on different terminals. Is that how they're supposed to be?

debeaune

AJ, the green is on 10, red is on 8 along with the red from the ringer.  The Cap is on the black/white posts coming off the ringer, previous post said to place them in parallel, so I did.  Not sure what would trigger my alarm to answer on the 2nd incoming calls when 1st incoming call is such a clean ring and clear talk.  Just curious is anything jumped out to anyone, the cap is a 1uF 240V.  Tim