News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Trimline Rotary Find

Started by Cole, August 23, 2019, 11:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole

This week I got my first rotary phone in my collection, a Western Electric Trimline from 1971. I know it's not anything special or that collectible but it is my first Trimline also. I'd also like to get a push button Trimline with the round buttons and possibly a Princess.

I also found, my old Trimline phone keychain that I had when I was a kid and I thought was long gone. So that was nice. I think it may have came from my aunt, she worked for Bell South.

Stormcrash

Nice. Trimlines are great phones! And super happy you found your keychain you'd thought you'd lost. Little mementos like that from family really can take you back. What color Trimline is it, and what cords/lighting does it use?

Cole

Thanks! It's a green color, I call it avocado green but not sure the correct name for it.

The handset cord is the original green and uses the big connectors. My understanding is the Trimlines were first to use these. The wall cord is also original, round green. It has a square four prong plug on it that's white and has an atomic logo that I think says Fedco or similar on it. It does not appear to be original, it is attached with electrical tape. I'm planning to open it up and connect it properly.
It has the non LED light, so I'd need one of those transformers to power it. Not sure how or if that can work with the four prong plug though, the ones I see use a modular splitter.

I also got on eBay, a four prong to modular adapter and it also came with another square four prong plug cut from a phone.

My plan is to get some of the round Bell four prong jacks and wire them to a modular cord to make my own adapters. That way I can display other phones I get with the correct jack. I find the old jacks and cords very interesting, I only saw modular ones growing up. I really like the round plugs too in matching colors with the Bell logo, but they are expensive, about $30 each!

Stormcrash

Nice, the green is spreading :) My guess based on info from paul-fs website if it's a 71 would be Moss green, number 51 on this chart
https://beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/images/we-color-chart1.jpg
http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm

I've never had an incandescent Trimline myself, but i have a huge soft spot for Trimlines as it seem nearly everyone had one in the 90s, though a lot of those were later post breakup one. But there were some square button LED ones as well, my parents had one in Teal Blue.  For lighting I think the output of the adapter just goes onto the other two wires not used for Tip and Ring on the jack/line cord

Cole

Well, the Trimlines are multiplying! I received another Trimline find today, this time a touch tone AD1 from 1969! It's beige and in great condition! It mustv've been wired right into the wall, as there was no plug. Fortunately I had a spare four prong I got with a four prong to modular adapter, so I was able to wire it up and dial out. Haven't tried the ringer yet, but I'm sure it works.

I also got my other avocado AD1 polished up last weekend.

Later this week I hope to receive another avocado find. I'm going to have to slow down on the phones for a while!

FABphones

I like Trimlines, a nice design with a good weight to them - remember to add photos!  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Markgregory

I am loving my Trimline. It was the last rule inspirational telephone design by the Dreyfus Group before the breakup of ma bell. A fantastically ergonomic design.

compubit

I personally love how the Trimline matches the contours of my face when using it...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

My favorite trimelines are early 10 and 12 button round button sets with matching color masks for the touchpad.
The round button sets can vary quite a bit internally.  They can have dual -tone oscillators or tone- generating IC chips. There can be a wide range of difference on the IC chips.

The square button handset mainly  vary by date, and it appears to be a simplification of the circuit of this design.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.