News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial / hook switch contacts

Started by Tom B, May 16, 2011, 05:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I have a 302 that's got a problem which I think is related to the dial or hook switch contacts. The phone carries on ringing when I pick up the receiver. It also won't dial out - anyone point me in the right direction?
Tom

Phonesrfun

Not enough information.

Do you get a dial tone when you pick up the receiver to start with?

Was it once working, then suddenly stopped, if so, what were you doing at the time?

This could be a wiring issue, a bad transmitter connection, or the two switch issues you asked about.
-Bill G

Tom B

Bill
I don't get a dial tone when I pick up the receiver, just a quiet hum.  The phone was working before I took it out of service because there was a crackling noise when I used it. I changed the receiver element and the noise remained. I decided to check again, and that's when I discovered that it didn't connect when called. It rings, but nothing else
Tom

dsk

If I don't remember wrong, the 302 has all the dc current going through  the transmitter, try to take out the transmitter, and just short the 2 springs, If you get the dial tone, the transmitter, and those contact spring is where find the fault.

dsk

deedubya3800

DSK, your memory is good. That could very well be where your problem lies. Check the transmitter. I'm thinking either your transmitter element isn't making contact with one of the springs, a wire going to the transmitter is broken or loose, or current isn't passing through the transmitter. Those would surely be easier to check than the dial and hookswitch.

For example: A 302 with a missing transmitter will not give a dial tone or stop ringing when picked up, but there will be some very low noise in the receiver when it's off the hook.

Tom B

d_s_k and Deedubya
Thanks for the info - I'll test and report back later ;)
Tom

Tom B

This issue has been sorted - that's why this forum is invaluable. Thank you.
Tom

deedubya3800

Yes, I've found these folks quite helpful as well!  :)

But do tell: What turned out to be the problem?

Tom B

I cleaned and adjusted the contacts which sorted the dial tone problem, and switched the transmitter element which cleared the crackling noise. ;D
Tom