"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Box for an AE Type 21

Started by Kevin Lane, April 11, 2011, 11:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Lane

Hello Eveyrone,

I'm a brand new member of this forum.  I've been reading a lot posts and learning quite a bit, but I hope that you folks don't mind a few questions from this newbie.

I have an AE Type 21 that my wife gave me for my birthday 25 years ago.  Now I would like to get a proper subset for it.  Obviously, an AE box would be great, but what other options do I have with AE boxes? 

I am searching eBay constantly for an AE box.  You would think they would be common.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Kevin Lane

LarryInMichigan

Kevin,

Any subset should be usable, but the wiring may be different for you phone.  On this page (http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=265&Itemid=11), there is a diagram for an AE21 with a WE 101A inductor coil.

Subsets are not as easy to find as phones.  I suspect that the reason is that they have generally been left mounted the the walls while the phones connected to them have been scavenged.  I actually have a wood AE subset which has been sitting on my shelf waiting for an AE21 candlestick.  You could solve your problem by sending me your phone ;)

Larry

Kevin Lane

Larry,

Thanks for the reply.  I will start looking for a WE anti-sidetone subset as well.  The wiring diagram will come in handy then.

Thank you for your offer, but the AE21 is pretty special to me, even in its unrestored condition.  Someday I hope to have the skills that so many on this forum have demonstrated with spectacular results.

I've attached a photo of the AE21 below.  Interestingly, it appears to have a WE 5H dial.  Is that common for an AE21?

Thanks again,

Kevin

LarryInMichigan

Kevin,

Your phone definitely has a WE dial.  I doubt that that is common.  More likely, someone swapped the dial because the original was more valuable.  The dial will affect the way that it needs to be wired.  The WE dials disconnect the receiver while dialing while the AE dials shunt (bypass) the receiver.  With a bit of effort though it can be wired to work.  Keep in mind though, that the sound quality from the transmitter will not be what people are used to hearing.  It will sound "tinny".  Most people complain when I talk to them through a 1920s transmitter.  I explain to them that this is how telephone conversations sounded in the 1920s, but it doesn't satisfy them.

Enjoy your phone.  If you hang around here for long, you will have more phones than you know what to do with :)

Larry