News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm getting a new old phone and wonder what you think

Started by ntophones, November 06, 2009, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Yes, got the dial back just this afternoon! Steve was great. He fixed 2 other stuck dials in about 10 minutes, it seems. :)

The paint turned out pretty well, after I wet sanded it and polished it for a while. Guess I just have a lot to learn about painting.

I could work a little more on the dial card. I just cut out a blank Wait for Dialtone and put the original number card underneath, but, my printed dial card didn't quite match up. But, you don't notice it unless you stare at it.
It will bug me, though, so I'm sure I'll mess with it some more.

--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

The phone looks great, and it appears the felt on the bottom is also in very good condition.  It looks like Dennis may have some new competition.

Larry

ntophones

Oh, Larry--How nice! I consider that a huge compliment!
Guess what? The bottom is suede. I used some suede cleaner on it (several times) and the nap came back up.
I had read that the black junk is just the oily dirt, so I really cleaned it. I also read that sometimes, people used baby powder and a brush to fluff it back, if it was getting a little sticky. I tried that, too, and it did help a little bit, after I had cleaned it well. I was happy. However, there used to be little cork feet on it. I'm thinking about cutting some out and trying to replace them, as soon as I can figure out what kind of glue I should use.
--nto

Tonyrotary

You should be proud as the phone came out very nicely! I told my wife I "NEED" a 202 one day. Hope when I do to get it as nice as yours!

ntophones

Thanks--I think everyone may need a 202!  :D
I've seen some other nice ones on ebay recently. Of course, I've seen many other phones I'd like on ebay........
But, thanks for the comment!
--nto

Dennis Markham

Larry, I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.  There is plenty of room in the world for everyone to become good at refurbishing phones---or anything else.

NTO, with regard to the leather cover, I also use a Nubbock cleaner, or suede cleaner on the leather covers and the smaller 302 and model 500 foot pads.  You have to make sure if you get leather cleaner that it is safe for suede.  Some of them say right on the can that they're not safe on suede.  I prefer the kind that comes out as a foam.  I like to work it in with a tooth brush and generally just saturate the foot pad.  I think some of the guys just use a warm water instead of the leather cleaner.  I read somewhere that a brass bristled brush works good on suede.  I bought a barbeque grill brush that is about 2-3 inches square.  It has brass bristles.  After I saturate the suede I brush gently, all in one direction at first on the leather.  The crusty leather will eventually soften.  But you have to be very careful not to rip it as it does get very thin.

The suede cleaner I use is simply Kiwi suede cleaner.  I usually buy it at Rite Aid but probably anyplace sells it.  The snap on top has those scratch bristles which also help.  My 2c worth, for what it's worth.

ntophones

Thanks, Dennis.
You are so right about being careful. I was working on a 302 foot and accidentally snagged a little hole in it.  :(.
But, before I worked on my 202 bottom suede piece, I made sure I was using a suede cleaner. I think I'll get some of the Kiwi, though, because, I think I would like the foam better, too. Mine was a liquid cleaner and really soaked the suede. But, it, too had a rough applicator that really helped the nap come up.
I think I may end up recovering the 302 feet. They are very, very black and gummy. I cleaned them a couple of times, but, since that one has the small rip, I can't really clean it anymore.
I think the toothbrush idea is a very good one, also.
--nto

Dennis Markham

Nto, I don't know if you've seen the postings about Dennis Hallworth.  He recovers leather foot pads, bases, etc.  Here is a posting with some info.  He does a nice job.  Although I know one can do recover them themselves, for the low price it's worth sending them to Dennis.  Here is the link from a previous post.  Look halfway down the page:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=241.msg3174#msg3174

Craig T

Great work on your phone, it came out very nice and clean, I like it!

Phonesrfun

Nto:

Very nice indeed.  I just got home from a busy day at work, so I have not been following the vast number of posts today.  I must chime in and compliment you on a job well done.  I know you worked very hard on it, and you did so well.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks to you all. There's nothing much better than sprucing up a phone and finding nice comments on your job on this forum.

Dennis, thanks for the info about the feet. I will probably be contacting Dennis in the near future. I had not seen that link before.
--nto