"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 24 Dials and Early Logos

Started by Slal, January 05, 2018, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Quote from: Jim S. on January 06, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
I have a dial like that. It is on a "Collins" 302 with push-to talk F type handset.
This is a metal 302 that is branded "Collins".
From what I understand , the A gave you access into a different network.
I research it a long time ago. ISTR  that Collins Radio was a highway truckers radio network that interfaced radio with telephone.
My Collins phone was probably a dispatch phone.
Just a guess,
Jim S.

At least yours works.  The one I got arrived today, but no dice.  Same POTS line error from AT&T.  "You must first dial the area code... We're sorry your call cannot be--"

Still a fun conversation piece based on Terry's joke.  : )

Will be putting 6 button intercom phone back together & save dial for dead parts phone I guess.  Win some & lose some.  : )

rdelius

Collins was a high end 2-way,short wave etc mfg co .Sold mostly to the military ,and some Hams. Also sold  AM and FM broadcasting equupment.Was bought by Rockwell.The radio dept went to Contintial.Telephone sets similar to the one shown were used by dispatchors to access the radio equiptment-pick up handset,push to talk button to answer calls some times additional buttons to tune to other panels..Some times a phone patch -not legal on Bell lines until Carterphone but the military had its own telephone system

AE_Collector

Let's see a picture of the back of it...might have NO pulsing contacts. Or, could the dial speed just be off .... annoying your CO switch?

I will find one of the dials we were talking about (standard with white numbers in black Bakelite disc) soon.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Here you go .  stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Oh it's that one....looks normal. I don't see why 1-0 wouldn't work normally. Does the speed seem about right? Could anything have been hooked up incorrectly?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         It's another handworn (Matt) dial spring assy.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Oh man...that again! So would that be for a WECo Phone with opening contacts for receiver shunt circuit rather than shorting like AE phones?

Replacing that entire pile-up with a "normal" one would be quick and easy. Not sure where the "A" would land but it wouldn't really matter.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Better ask David (poplar1) as I know nothing on WE . Pile up changed and dial number plate changed oh and finger wheel just to make it a 51 or 51 A. Sorry, it would be cheaper to get another dial . The regular 32 had a AE 24 dial.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Well Slal wanted the 11 digit FW and number plate with the A. Just a swap of the pileup would give him a working Dial with the A and extra hole just an oddity. However, if wrecking a regular dial to get the pileup, it may not be worth it. Need an otherwise wrecked dial to part out.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Agreed, swap of the pileup would be the easy fix. I'll look and see if I have anymore. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

For a Signal Corps or AE dial pileup for a WE 302, I think the normally closed contacts (that open the receiver)would be isolated from the shunt contacts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Bruce ,
           I don't have any dial spring assy ( pileup ) that would work .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Thanks for replies.

I tried removing the shunt springs on "A" dial and replacing them with a set of three from a broken 51 dial with a bent cam shaft.  I think the springs are listed as "AK-25"

Anyway, no dice.

Timing then?  It takes 1 second to go from "A" back to start.  So that would mean timing for 0 through 1 would be off a bit correct?  Don't know if that's throwing telco off or not.

Not sure what proper term is, but the brass part on top of the main shaft is obviously a different shape on the "A" dial than the ones I've seen on residential dials.

Never had the courage to do this, but is it possible to remove the brass part that controls the springs that's on the 51 and put it on the "A" dial?  That spring doesn't look as if easily removed, or could easily get away from me!  : 0 !

Have little to lose at this point.  One is for reference & parts, the other just a fun (if expensive) conversation piece.

Steve Hiltz also comes to mind.  I can't find his site, but hazard a guess whether he could get 1-10 to work?  Or (and this is subjective) would that be throwing good money after bad?

January's phone budget is spent, and getting an AE-35 has me put me into February!  Been a while.  What was the term for this?  "Phone-itis?"  : )

Thanks for reading!

--Bruce

rdelius

Your problem might be the wrong number of pulses are sent.A standard AE dial  is a delayed impules dial and has a second lobe on the main shaft that  prevents the dial from pulsing 11 times instead of 10 times.If this is out of adjustment, wrong numbers will result from the extra pulse. The 11 hole dial is not a delayed impulse dial so it does not shunt the extra pulse if the fingerwheel is replaced with a 10 hole one. Type 51 ,54 or type 51a parts can be used to convert things

stub

Bruce ,
          Can you post some pics of the front of dial with the finger wheel off ? I haven't seen one of the A dials.  thanks stub
Kenneth Stubblefield