News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Green British Ericsson N1002 Telephone No 332 (Mark 1)

Started by AE_Collector, January 13, 2018, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Thanks again for the info TwoCV. That's about what I figured.

Here is the handset markings which help very little.

And here is a link to the recent CRPF topic on a similar green 332 listed on eBay in NZ.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19452.0

Doesn't the first digit ID the manufacturer? So does N=Ericsson?

The one in Auckland NZ is L...any idea who that is?

Terry

rdelius

ITI (Indian Telephone Industries) Obtained old tooling  from England -Possibly ATM because the dial is a copy of the ATM type 24.
Earlier sets were closer in construction to the British ones but things were simplified and the chassis eliminated and parts mounted to the baseplate. No drawer on these sets.
old thread  here
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3622.msg48245#msg48245

AE_Collector

I'm glad to report that my memory hasn't deteriorated any more over the last 7 years. I made the same comment in that 2010 topic about not being able to remember the ITI vs GPO 332 differences other than the fingerstop!

Terry

david@london

this ITI set sold recently by a London-based seller for £271 ($374 US).
though the quality of these Indian phones is usually said to be lower, it is a very nice-looking phone and has the internal configuration with the chassis, also a GPO 10 type dial with engraved finger stop.

link to eBay auction

AE_Collector

I think the fact that more colours were available in the ITI phones combined with the early ones being the same design as the original coloured phones made for the GPO will keep the value of them quite high. That is a very nice looking sea foam green colour. The ITI phones will provide a way for collectors to have some of these phones in colours without the prices being quite as high.

Does anyone follow the prices closely enough on both varieties of these coloured phones to be able to tell if prices are stable? Lately many of the AE coloured phones seem to be going much lower than in recent years.

Thanks for the info and pictures David.

Terry

twocvbloke

Although that ITI looks good, it is a bit of a cheat as the seller apparently had replaced the innards and dial with proper 332 parts, so it's basically a 332 with new(er) plastics, would be more interesting if it had its' original parts fitted to show the differences between an original and one of those earlier ITI models...

AE_Collector

Years ago I recall missing out on an Ivory 332 on eBay and in N America with nothing inside. Went pretty inexpensively consequently. I have several smashed 332's around here so had the parts but managed to miss the completion when I was going to snipe it.

Good that the parts are interchangeable at least. Maybe the newer ITI models can't have Parts swapped around as easily?

Does anyone know what the material is that any of the colored sets are mad3 from? Can't really colour Bakelite like this can you? AE Black phones were Bakelite while coloured sets were plastic? Same for these? The difference seems to be that my Green N1002 is very hard like Bakelite but must be a Type of hard plastic and consequently had no problems with shrinking like AE phones had. And WECo coloured plastic 302 shells as well. GPO had these colours available very early didn't they....prior to WW2?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 15, 2018, 01:00:53 PMGood that the parts are interchangeable at least. Maybe the newer ITI models can't have Parts swapped around as easily?

Based on what the seller of that minty green one put in their description (which may or may not be accurate), they were compatible until the moulds wore out which is when they started mounting the electrical parts on the baseplate, I presume that the GPO type dials will still fit though, but the innards wouldn't be as robust as the proper GPO (or Ericsson) design... :)

twocvbloke

Some more history of the design here:

http://britishtelephones.com/t300info.htm

Doesn't go into what the plastic is, but I'd assume it is just coloured Bakelite or similar...

HarrySmith

Easy test I learned to differentiate between plastic & bakelite is to heat up a pin to cheery red and touch the item. If it melts it is plastic, if not it is bakelite. Of course do this on an inconspicuous spot inside the item. I do not recall where I heard that, may have been on here!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Yes that seems logical. Or my pencil tip soldering iron. Might try that out of curiosity.

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Here's one that just sold today at auction in West Norwood, UK.  $883 USD.
Dave

twocvbloke

Oddly "cheap" for a green one, but then, it went to a proper auction rather than ebay, so went for a slightly more sensible number...

AE_Collector

Thanks for posting Dave!

TwoCV...(or anyone else) what are your thoughts re value differences between mine and an actual 332...would collectors value one not made directly for the GPO lower?

I may sell mine since I am trying to consolidate back to mainly AE items and it seems as though maybe I should list it in eBay UK to maximize exposure. On the other hand already having it in North America makes it more desirable to buyers here but I don't think it is valued as highly here.

Terry