News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone ringer dings as I dial

Started by Robert63, July 24, 2013, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert63

ok, first let me say that I am new to the rotary phone world, except when I was a kid and we had one hanging in our kitchen (black 500 series). So I got this Western Electric 354. After many hours of work reconditioning it and fixing one bug after another, first it was wired wrong (Bill Jeffery's wiring diagram was a life saver), hook switch damaged, and it would not break dial tone. I finally got it working and looking good, in no small part to the expertise of this awesome forum. Just one last question when I dial out the ringer dings as the dial returns (i.e. dial 5 and as the dial returns, ding-ding-ding-ding. Is this normal and if not what can be the cause.

Phonesrfun

I take it that the ringer that is dinging while you dial is the ringer inside the 354 and not some other phone in the house.  There are a couple things you can do to help this out.  The first thing is to check the bias spring on the ringer.  It has two settings on the 354.  One for a loose fit, and another for a tighter bias.  Yours is probably set in the loose slot.  Try the firmer setting.  That is where I would start.  By adjusting the spring, you may need to adjust the position of the gongs to re-adjust ringing volume.  The gongs have eccentric holes for adjusting the relative position of the gongs to the striker.

The second thing to perhaps do is reverse the L1 and L2 wires coming from the wall.  Polarity normally does not affect a 354, but in some cases it can have an impact on the ringer dinging while dialing.

Let us know if that helps.
-Bill G

Robert63

Adjusting the ringer spring did the trick. Awsome! Thanks

HarrySmith

OK, it's working, now go away while you still can! If this is the only old phone you have you may be able to avoid Phonitis ;D

Seriously, welcome to the greatest forum on the net, in my opinion :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Robert63

To late - A WE 500 wall phone I got off of e-bay for $24.00 came in the mail today, it's my next project.

gpo706

A 554? Nice robust machines, bit of a bugger to get apart though.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

WesternElectricBen

Good luck on the 554 we would like to see your phones, have you a eBay number for any of them or link?

Ben

HarrySmith

Oh well, I tried :(
Another victim joins the asylum :D
WE 554's are not difficult to get apart, one of the easiest I think!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 25, 2013, 12:25:43 PM
WE 554's are not difficult to get apart, one of the easiest I think!

I agree.  GPO706:  Don't you just press up on the metal catch to take the cover off?  Usually, one doesn't even need a screwdriver to do it, and it can be done with the thumb.  Or, are you talking about more of a disassemble than getting the cover off?
-Bill G