"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 HANDSET SERVICE TIPS

Started by bingster, September 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Quote from: Bill on November 08, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
So by all means, get a strap wrench. Make sure the strap is long enough - and make sure that it is grippy. I've used wrenches with either a canvas strap, or a soft "live rubber" surface. These work well.

Bill
About 10 years ago, I was trying to take a Stromberg-Carlson candlestick apart, and I found a great little strap wrench that worked like a dream on it. It also was excellent for E1 handsets and just about anything that you needed to loosen without ruining it or marking it up.

I used to buy them in 100-lot quantities and sell them to collectors, but I haven't in years. The earliest version (the square-looking one in the photo) is lighter and doesn't work as well. The single photo is the new version that is much more substantial and lasts longer. The belt is ribbed on the inside and is Kevlar-reinforced. It doesn't stretch AT ALL, and grips very well. I have found that some rosin (from a rosin bag used in baseball) works well to make it grip when things get slippery.

If you know a commercial plumber or mechanical contractor that works with those hands-free flushing toilets and urinals, then you may be in luck. Each and every automatic-flushing Sloan valve is shipped with one of these neat little wrenches, so some plumbers collect them after each job. I have a friend that actually GAVE me a shoe-box full of them! I was amazed at how well they worked. If you can find one, try them, and you will never be without one!

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

dennisjnunes

I was truly amazed after reading threw all of the post or responce to this post no one until the very end asked if anyone new how to keep it from happining again (ae collector) & than someone hit it (kleenax) and said anti seize.  It' true on any thing aluminum always use a small amount of anti seize the automotive and motorcycle industry learned this about 75 years ago. Do you have any idea how many v.w. porches. and any engine with an aluminum head is running around with a frozen spark plug in it , and as far as cleaning the thread I would only use stiff nylon, or run a thread chaser over them.  Dennis. ???

AE_Collector

Actually it wan't originally me who originally asked what to do to prevent future seizing. "Nick in Manitou" asked the question and I repeated it.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

I recently acquired another E1 and needed to convince it to come apart.

The strap wrench I used on the previous one was not really very good and I decided to look for the Sloan EBV-22 wrenches Kleenax suggested in a prior post...

I found them at Zorotools.com

I paid $16.90 for 2 including shipping.

I just took apart my second E1 with the help of 2 Sloan strap wenches, a hair dryer and a plastic bag.

I figured that since the prices I found on the internet for the wrenches varied quite a bit, that I would point out the name of the vendor that I purchased from.

I have trouble finding it directly on the ZoroTools website, but purchased it from them after following a link through Amazon.

Contempra

Quote from: BDM on September 14, 2008, 02:55:15 AM
Go easy with the strap wrench. You'd be surprised how fast things can go wrong using it. Ask me how I know :P Like crushing the aluminum, or worse. Heat it up as suggested, and go slowly and carefully!

Hello BDM.. this post is old but one of your link has somethings that I want...but the screensaver and the slide show are not in service. I mean the links are dead.. do you have a new link ?. thank you ;)

BDM

Denis sorry for the very late reply. What links are you referring to?

-Brian
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 28, 2013, 10:57:22 PM
I recently acquired another E1 and needed to convince it to come apart.

The strap wrench I used on the previous one was not really very good and I decided to look for the Sloan EBV-22 wrenches Kleenax suggested in a prior post... I found them at Zorotools.com. I have trouble finding it directly on the ZoroTools website.

It comes up on Zorotools if you search for EBV22, rather than EBV-22.

Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: Bill on March 05, 2014, 12:34:53 PM

It comes up on Zorotools if you search for EBV22, rather than EBV-22.

Bill
I just found three of them on eBay for $21.99 and bought them. I previously had another strap wrench, but the last time I used it, I found a small triangular piece which pinches the strap was MIA. I also have a handset wrench, but these are safer to use and do less potential damage to the handset.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271399734773
( dead link 02-19-21 )

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Ed Morris

Here's a tip that worked for me on an E-1 I couldn't budge.  Not having a strap wrench, I tried using a rubber gripper cloth, but it would slip. I wrapped the cup with masking tape, then used the rubber gripper cloth.  It came loose easily.

Ed