News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimphone for U.S. Market?

Started by SUnset2, October 02, 2020, 12:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Since we are in the middle of a discussion of trimphone variants, I recently got a trimphone that was made specifically for the U.S. market.  It has the U.S. style letters on the dial with "M N O" on the 6.  It also has an RJ-11 plug and a FCC part 68 label.  It appears to have been distributed by ITT.  Were these commonly distributed in the U.S.?  They don't seem to be very common here.

tubaman

That's a very interesting find. I'd always assumed we (UK) were the only users of Trimphones. Clearly not.
:)

paul-f

ITT had a robust "Own-A-Phone" program in the US for several years, including several models.

One was the familiar-looking Delta Phone.

This was discussed briefly here, including a reference photo:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3120.msg41799#msg41799

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3120.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I just won one of these on ebay: ebay link.  I have never seen one of these in person.  I am anxious to see how this differs from the version used in the UK.

Larry

tubaman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 15, 2022, 07:01:38 PMI just won one of these on ebay: ebay link.  I have never seen one of these in person.  I am anxious to see how this differs from the version used in the UK.

Larry

Nice find, it'll indeed be interesting to see the insides of this.

FABphones

No collection is complete without a Trimphone.  :)

Looking forward to seeing more, particularly an ITT version interior.

Some of mine for comparison (reply 3):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26134
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I will probably need some guidance on how to open the phone base and handset.

Larry

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on September 16, 2022, 03:58:49 AMNo collection is complete without a Trimphone.  :)

I sold the only one I had a few years ago as it wasn't a very nice example.
I do keep looking at getting another but would like an MF press-button version and they don't come up so often.

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 16, 2022, 06:48:43 AMI will probably need some guidance on how to open the phone base and handset...

Let's take a Trimphone to bits:
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_trimphone.htm

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: FABphones on September 16, 2022, 09:05:46 AMLet's take a Trimphone to bits:
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_trimphone.htm

It looks like he has gone to town on the topic.  I expect it to be quite useful and likely save me from having to glue mistakes back together.

Thank You

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone actually arrived today even though it was picked up by the USPS only three days ago all the way over in California, and it was sent via Parcel Select.  The seller packed it into a box smaller than the phone itself, so it is a good thing that the plastic is so thick.  I took some quick pictures:
IMG_3487.JPGIMG_3488.JPGIMG_3489.JPG   
The plastic is quite discolored, so it will need some bleaching.  The dial returns slowly, so it will have to be cleaned and perhaps lubricated.  It is interesting that the dial center card has a fake phone number.  I see "STC" on the PC board, so presumably the phone was made by STC which, as far as I am aware was a subsidiary of ITT. 

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 19, 2022, 05:22:21 PMI see "STC" on the PC board, so presumably the phone was made by STC...

I used to work there so know your phones birthplace well. Standard Telephones and Cables. Before it's rebirth/rename STC was originally part of Western Electric (the European arm of).

Great little phone. One of my all time favourites. At the time it was considered an extremely desirable and futuristic telephone. Mostly in the households of the 'well to do' due to the phones higher rental charge, and always placed in full view to show it off.

:)

tubaman

The internals look just like the UK version so perhaps it was exported unchanged.

SUnset2

Quote from: tubaman on September 20, 2022, 07:24:41 AMThe internals look just like the UK version so perhaps it was exported unchanged.
The dial ring was changed to add the letter "O" to the 6.

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on September 16, 2022, 07:54:30 AM...looking at getting another but would like an MF press-button version...

Possibly item number 155146804227 on the auction site?