News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 50 - Brown Bakelite - eBay Auction

Started by mazda_matt, February 03, 2017, 03:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

If anyone is interested, I have put this brown 50 up on eBay. It has a large crack on the side and would need some major repairs done. There are some great guides posted on this site for fixing Bakelite with dyed epoxy. Might make for a nice little project for someone. The auction starts at $100. Good Luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/192095700542?

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

AE_Collector

OUCH. That's horrible. What a shame it was dropped (apparently). Still, if it were BIN for $100 I would have grabbed it.

Terry

mazda_matt

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 03, 2017, 03:55:01 PM
OUCH. That's horrible. What a shame it was dropped (apparently). Still, if it were BIN for $100 I would have grabbed it.

Terry

Well, you can place a bid for $100 and maybe you will the only one. :)

Auction is only for 3 days.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

AE_Collector

I might....but if I win the auction I know what will happen. I will have a Mahogony (or Walnut) AE 50 that has to be displayed the right way as I will probably never get around to trying to fix it.

Terry

unbeldi

Interesting is the marking on the rear of the set:   L 5002 B1 00

Did this phone always have a dial or was it added later ?
Does the phone have a frequency ringer or a straight-line ringer?

Would it be possible to post a picture of the wiring schematic, if available?

AE_Collector

I was thinking that I should contact OPW to see if we could see inside....didn't put 2 and 2 together that you are with OPW. I wasn't asking for a BIN at $100! I thought you just saw it on eBay and posted it here.

Yes it looks as though this is one of the phones that didn't get coded for color but maybe the B is the color code. If so, they mixed the code order up a bit. But more likely it was a dial blank phone originally. The dial with any codes on the back of it might tell that story. Also, the 1 would likely indicate a frequency ringer so if it is that sort of confirms that the B1 code is as usual representing dial (blank) and 16.6 CPS frequency ringer.

Terry

mazda_matt

Quote from: unbeldi on February 03, 2017, 07:06:48 PM
Interesting is the marking on the rear of the set:   L 5002 B1 00

Did this phone always have a dial or was it added later ?
Does the phone have a frequency ringer or a straight-line ringer?

Would it be possible to post a picture of the wiring schematic, if available?

We were rooting through some old boxes and came across this one, so I am not sure about the dial situation.

Phone does have a strait line ringer.

I would love to open it, but I fear if i do, it might just fall to pieces.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

AE_Collector

Quote from: mazda_matt on February 06, 2017, 04:01:21 PM
Sold for $107.50!

Congrats to whoever purchased it

-MM

Thank You!

Last minute "oh what the heck" bid just before the snipes in the last 10 seconds were to arrive (but didn't). It looks beautiful if you look at it from the correct side. I was worried about feeling sad (for what happened to it) whenever I see it but I am happy with the price so that will hopefully make me happy to own it.

Prior to today I owned 4 "real" colored AE's and 2 Ray Kotke colored AE's. Of the 4 real ones, 3 of them have significant issues so this new one should fit right in.

Is there any other knowledge about where it came from or what happened to it?

Terry

AE_Collector

The Mahogany or Walnut AE 50 is on its way to me already. Matt was great, getting out the door in record time.

Now I'm hoping that Canada Post will inadvertently drop it and since it is already broken it will obviously be restored to "like new" condition!....Won't it?

I am a little excited as this will be my first Walnut or Mahogany AE, I have no idea which one it is and in all likelihood I still wont know what it is even once it arrives. More to figure out. Hopefully it turns out to have a schematic inside but who knows.

Terry

mazda_matt

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 07, 2017, 09:14:50 PM
The Mahogany or Walnut AE 50 is on its way to me already. Matt was great, getting out the door in record time.

Now I'm hoping that Canada Post will inadvertently drop it and since it is already broken it will obviously be restored to "like new" condition!

I am a little excited as this will be my first Walnut or Mahogany AE, I have no idea which one it is and in all likelihood I still wont know what it is even once it arrives. More to figure out. Hopefully it turns out to have a schematic inside but who knows.

Terry

Hey Terry,

Glad it was sold to someone on the forum! Keep us updated with the restoration process.

Thanks,
-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

AE_Collector

The Brown AE50 arrived at the beginning of the week but I haven't had time to do much with it. My guess is that this phone may have been refurbished by someone in 1956. The codes seem to indicate that it originally didn't come with a dial but it now has one that has April 12, 1956 stamped an the back in vermillion ink. But, the dial appears to be a type 24 with oval logo and it clicks on wind up. So it was probably refurbished and dated and then installed in this phone. Also, the transmitter was replaced with one that is date stamped as well. It is April 23, 1956.

The phone was made by Phillips Electrical Works in Brockville Ontario. It has the vermillion ink stamp indicating this on the inside of the cover.

The phone looks much better in person than the pictures indicate. Fortunately the cracks in the vent area allow a section of the vents to be removed completely which should make repair much easier. When the phone was dropped the impact sheared off one of the dial mounting posts which can be seen in the pictures.

I suspect that the backplate of this 50 is Mahogany while the cover and handset are Walnut. Possibly something else that happened during refurbishing! But, there isn't that much difference between Mahogany and Walnut so it isn't particularly noticible. You can see the difference between the cover and the backplate in these pictures. After years of not having an AE in either, I now have one that is both!

Terry

mazda_matt

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 18, 2017, 02:00:15 AM
The Brown AE50 arrived at the beginning of the week but I haven't had time to do much with it. My guess is that this phone may have been refurbished by someone in 1956. The codes seem to indicate that it originally didn't come with a dial but it now has one that has April 12, 1956 stamped an the back in vermillion ink. But, the dial appears to be a type 24 with oval logo and it clicks on wind up. So it was probably refurbished and dated and then installed in this phone. Also, the transmitter was replaced with one that is date stamped as well. It is April 23, 1956.

The phone was made by Phillips Electrical Works in Brockville Ontario. It has the vermillion ink stamp indicating this on the inside of the cover.

The phone looks much better in person than the pictures indicate. Fortunately the cracks in the vent area allow a section of the vents to be removed completely which should make repair much easier. When the phone was dropped the impact sheared off one of the dial mounting posts which can be seen in the pictures.

I suspect that the backplate of this 50 is Mahogany while the cover and handset are Walnut. Possibly something else that happened during refurbishing! But, there isn't that much difference between Mahogany and Walnut so it isn't particularly noticible. You can see the difference between the cover and the backplate in these pictures. After years of not having an AE in either, I now have one that is both!

Terry

Hey Terry,

Glad it arrived in the same condition as when it left here. I was a little worried it might get damaged even more on the way. I had our shipper pack it up really well.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

AE_Collector

Yes that injected foam packaging works pretty well!

I am sure getting confused about the Walnut versus Mahogany colours though. I was certain that the lighter brighter colour like the backplate shows would be considered Mahogany and the darker colour of the cover and handset would be considered to be Walnut. But when compared to the pictures in an AE catalog showing the coloured sets the one labelled Walnut appears to be lighter and brighter (red tones) than the one labelled Mahogany. Either the pictures aren't very good or they are mislabelled OR my thoughts as to what Walnut and Mahogany looked like just aren't correct.

Terry

unbeldi

Wouldn't this be a fair comparison?

Does the base have any codes on the back ?