News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Heemaf 1955 dial bounce noise: flywheel

Started by cloyd, May 03, 2016, 03:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Never saw any Telephone Engineering Co., Simpson, PA phones for sale at Radio Shack. (TE&M was the "fortnightly" magazine Telephone Engineering and Management). They may have had different suppliers in different parts of the country. We shipped approximately 400 phones per week from Hallmark House in Springfield, MA to the Radio Shack warehouse in Braintree, MA, at least while I worked there 1972-1973. If I recall correctly, the phones from Holland were a couple of bucks cheaper than the phones they got from us.

I recall seeing  sets and parts from BECO (Bohnsack, Germantown, NY) for sale at Radio Shack in the late 60s. You could always tell Warren Bohnsack's phones because of the orange stickers on the bottom, and the paint that got all over your hands when you picked up the handset.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Table-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Storage-Box-Black-Model-Vintage-Phone-/231911439639
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

1973 Radio Shack catalog, page 108,  shows the Catalog #279-385 imported phones @ $7.95 each. The US-made phones such as the ones from Hallmark House were $11.95 -- Catalog #279-371.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1973/

andre_janew

The American made phones pictured look like AE phones.

rdelius

I put TE&M when I thought Telephone Enginering

19and41

Interesting thread.  I had just about forgotten about those odd looking phones offered by Radio Shack.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

They might have shown a type 80 but they could be almost anything.Remember getting a SC 1243 with an improvised ringer with one ringer coil and a bent piece of metal shipping strap.Did not work well at all.Also saw Kellogg 1000 series sets and North 7H? sets.I was surprised how new some of the Dutch sets were,some fewer than 10 years old when imported in the early-mid 70s

unbeldi

Quote from: rdelius on May 06, 2016, 05:58:38 PM
I was surprised how new some of the Dutch sets were,some fewer than 10 years old when imported in the early-mid 70s
Very true.   I found a Heemaf 1955 set that was likely one of the very last ones made in the last quarter of 1970.  It was virtually in mint condition.

It appears that the 1950s models (1951, 1952, 1955) were simply removed from service no matter how long they had provided service.

poplar1

Quote from: rdelius on May 06, 2016, 05:58:38 PM
They might have shown a type 80 but they could be almost anything.Remember getting a SC 1243 with an improvised ringer with one ringer coil and a bent piece of metal shipping strap.Did not work well at all.Also saw Kellogg 1000 series sets and North 7H? sets.I was surprised how new some of the Dutch sets were,some fewer than 10 years old when imported in the early-mid 70s

The buzzers were something Merrill (Hallmark House owner) invented. We used a single coil from a harmonic ringer and a short piece of metal band, the kind used to secure loads to pallets. We had to bend the metal so that the air gap was close enough for the buzzer to work. We threw the brass gongs in a box for recycling. We had two prison release guys who buffed the phones. They looked a lot better buffed than the painted ones they did before I worked there.

The AE 80 was certainly not typical of what we shipped out in 1973. I recall one that came in from one of the independent companies that sold to us. It was apparently never installed,  but Don gave it the usual treatment: remove the finger wheel to clean underneath, clean the whole outside of phone with a mixture of Lestoil and water, using clean surplus rags from a linen service, replace cords if necessary, test dial, transmit, receive, and ringer. (Don said he thought everyone was crazy when on his first day he heard everyone whistling into the phones, which, in addition to being able to hear yourself, also dimmed the light on the test box. We had a toggle switch for talk or ring.

We sold WE and NE 302s, AE 40s, North xH6s, S-C 1243s/1443s/1543s. Never sold Kellogg 1000s  because the boss though they were junk. We sent all the paystations and color phones and magneto phones to Bohnsack, who was a friend of the boss.

Brecks of Boston showed a WE  500 in their catalog, which was just as misleading as the AE 80 in the Radio Shack catalog. After I complained, but probably just a coincidence, they changed the photo to. A 302. Their lawyer answered  my inquiry about connecting them in spite of Bell's tariffs: He wrote that "no one can stop the sale of legal merchandise in the USA."

andre_janew

I remember seeing telephones for sale in a U.S. General catalog. I even ordered a few from the catalog and this was in the 1980s after the Bell breakup.  The phones even had ringers in them that worked.  Most were sent back because they didn't work right.  The only one that wasn't sent back was a black AE80.  The rest had issues with the dial or the handset didn't put out enough volume to hear the other party.  In short, U.S. General didn't turn out to be a good source for rotary phones.  As I understood it, they were supposed to be reconditioned phones!  I guess to them "reconditioning" was just simply putting a good shine on the phone!