News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

QSD3A Restoration.... What have I gotten myself into?

Started by mentalstampede, March 02, 2014, 11:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

I've got a quick question for the hive-mind here:

This phone came to me with a blank number plate (164B) installed on the dial.  It seems that in most pictures I see of phones with a plastic fingerwheel, the phone is equipped with a number plate that has dots (164D?) installed instead.  Which type of number plate is more appropriate for this phone?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

poplar1

The 164B number plates were originally furnished, along with aluminum finger wheels painted black, on black WE and NE pay phones. The 164D number plates with dots were used, along with  transparent finger wheels--open center in the early years--, on the color WE/NE pay phones. The dots make it easier to dial with a transparent finger wheel.

I'm not sure about NE, but many black WE pay phones were updated with the solid center transparent finger wheels without changing the number plates to 164Ds.

Depending on the year of manufacture, you may want to get an aluminum finger wheel rather than a 164D number plate.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mentalstampede

Quote from: poplar1 on September 21, 2014, 05:46:29 PM

Depending on the year of manufacture, you may want to get an aluminum finger wheel rather than a 164D number plate.

The phone is dated 68.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

poplar1

Perhaps one of our Canadian members can say for sure which finger wheel is proper. I'd almost bet that it originally had an aluminum finger wheel since there are no dots on the number plate. IMO an aluminum finger wheel from a 6A or 7D dial would look sharp. It's also probably easier to find than a 164D number plate.

unbeldi

Perhaps you can ask the guy on the left for a spare finger wheel. He must be keeping them somewhere.

mentalstampede

I might order one of the vinyl number plate overlays to see how it looks. I do like the clear fingerwheel.

tallguy58

1971 NE Coin service Manual shows a 233 with a metal finger wheel, but the illustrations look very old. I'm sure they used existing photos from previous manuals.

A December 1969 update shows one with a plastic finger wheel.

My guess is that in 1968 NE payphones would have had a clear finger wheel.

Mine of a similar vintage had the original clear one when I got it.

Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Bill and Dave: dots or no dots on your number plate?

tallguy58

Dots on mine.

Bell Canada Manual shows dots as well.
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

C*NET 1-651-0001

mentalstampede

Interesting. What color were your phones originally? Maybe only non-black phones had dots?

DavePEI

Quote from: mentalstampede on September 22, 2014, 03:06:34 AM
Interesting. What color were your phones originally? Maybe only non-black phones had dots?
Mine started out rusty beige!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

mentalstampede

Hmm. I notice that another poster has a chrome one with dots: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8856.msg94991#msg94991

What color is yours, Bill? Has anyone ever seen a black one with dots?

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill