News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with phone repair

Started by broadfootm, June 24, 2015, 06:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadfootm

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am not so much a collector as an inheritor of a collection of antique phones from my dad, who worked for Bell Canada for 36 years. I have questions about 2 phones. The first is a Northern Electric(NE) No. 2 Uniphone. I have it working and wired, but cant get it to ring. I have the red to L1 and the green to L2. The wires from the ringer are intact. I had it ringing when I used a jack plug in the house, same wiring but connected the yellow to ground. When I connect it in my garage (direct wire) I can't get it to ring, same wiring configuration.
The second question is about a NE wall phone, I don't know the model number but it is a dial set and looks to be from the '40s. The receiver hook has no spring. Where can I get a part, or what could I use to repair it? I will try to attach pictures, any help much appreciated.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: broadfootm on June 24, 2015, 06:08:18 PMI had it ringing when I used a jack plug in the house, same wiring but connected the yellow to ground. When I connect it in my garage (direct wire) I can't get it to ring, same wiring configuration.

The jack that you had it plugged into when the ringer worked probably had it's ground jumpered to L1 inside the jack housing or at the other end back at the demarc.  Bell doesn't use ground anymore so check the 2 ringer wire connections in the phone.  Black should be on K on the terminal block (if your uniphone has that)  along with the slate wire from the capacitor, red should be on L1.  Although this diagram refers to a WE 302 it is pretty much the same as a NE 302 and I believe that uniphone models used the same internals as the NE 302.

Quote from: broadfootm on June 24, 2015, 06:08:18 PMThe second question is about a NE wall phone, I don't know the model number but it is a dial set and looks to be from the '40s. The receiver hook has no spring. Where can I get a part, or what could I use to repair it? I will try to attach pictures, any help much appreciated.

Your wall phone is probably a 352 or 354.  If it has 2 sets of hookswitch contacts like the one in my photo then 352; if it has 3 then 354.  You can also see what the missing hookswitch spring should look like.

Cliff

tallguy58

Welcome fellow Canuck. (I'm assuming you live up here)

Let us know what else you have.
Cheers........Bill

Dan/Panther

Welcome, If your dad worked for Bell Canada, for 36 years, you probably have some interesting phones. My advice, LEARN before you attempt repairs or modifications. Once you make changes, you may not be able to undo them.
Follow the WE302 diagram, the guy that made that diagram really knew what he was doing.  :o
Seriously, it really makes me feel great, that someone else, can use something that will make another persons journey into phone collecting a little easier. I hope everyone can continue to use our resources here, for many, many, years to come. A lot of very talented people have posted their work here to further the hobby, and make new members learning curve a little shorter, and less frustrating.
in the short time this Forum has been in existence, I am sure, we have compiled a source of information hard to beat anywhere.  When you combine all the links and posts, we easily have a collection of information that would take a single individual decades to compile. Thank Yo Mark Stevens for your original work, and to Dennis Markhams' phenomenal job of maintaining this site. A great work constantly evolving.

D/P 

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

broadfootm

Thanks all for the advice and warm welcome. Northern electric, I don't see the diagram you are referring to but see the photo of the hook switch, it makes sense now. On the Uniphone there are 3 terminals, GND, K and a third that I don't see an identifier for. The slate wire from the capacitor is currently on the third terminal with the black wire from the ringer. There is  black wire from the capacitor and another black from the ringer on K. Red from the ringer is on L1.
Tallguy and Dan Panther, yes I do live in Canada. I will send pics of the phones, probably in a few posts, not sure how much I can send at once. Along with the phones there are some signs, and about 30 insulators, mostly BTC but other Canadian and American as well.

broadfootm

More pics, apologies for incorrect names or model numbers

broadfootm

more

tallguy58

You have some really nice phones there.  Dad obvious knew what phones were collectable.
Cheers........Bill

Dan/Panther

I was referring to the wiring diagram, NorthernElectric posted.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

broadfootm

more pics to come. I don't see a diagram

broadfootm

This is the bulk of the stuff I have, there are some doubles and a box of miscellaneous stuff that I wont take up forum space with. Glad you have enjoyed seeing the pics. I have been reading a lot of the different posts, some very interesting and educational writings.

broadfootm

Hey Northern Electric, thanks

for the wiring diagram, for some reason it only showed up this week on the site, but was very helpful. A little different than the uniphone but I was able to figure it out, phone rings now. Thanks again for your help.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: broadfootm on July 14, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
Hey Northern Electric, thanks

for the wiring diagram, for some reason it only showed up this week on the site, but was very helpful. A little different than the uniphone but I was able to figure it out, phone rings now. Thanks again for your help.

I don't know why you couldn't see it in the 1st place; maybe something with your web browser? The diagram was posted by another member elsewhere on this site; I merely linked to it in my reply to you.  When you said you couldn't see it I intended to go and find that post again and give you a link to it, but was busy at the time and later forgot.  For that I apologize.   :-[  I'm glad that you eventually got to see it and it helped.  For future reference, this subforum contains plenty of wiring diagrams; the post containing the diagram in question is in there somewhere.

PS.  this is where the diagram was originally posted
Cliff

broadfootm

No worries at all Cliff, I really appreciate the help. My next project is the NE 354 and I have a 202 with a subset that doesn't ring so I'll check out the link you sent me.