News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 Straight Handset Cord Length?

Started by RotarDad, May 16, 2012, 01:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Can anyone provide me a precise length measurement of an original straight handset cord for a WE500?  I just need the outside measurement from the phone shell to the handset.  I am working on making one from modern parts, but I don't have a real one to measure.  If my results are worth sharing, I will certainly post.  Thank you!   Paul
Paul

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

That BSP shows the spring cord H4CJ on a G1AR handset; it does not show the straight cord or a G1A handset
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jsowers

I'm not where I can measure one, but here's a picture of one out of the handset. How are you going to make the large strain relief that goes on the handset end and sticks out of the handset? Without that part, the cord will eventually pull loose, or just flop around and break the wires.

Good luck in your creation. It's certainly a rare enough item that a reproduction would have a chance.
Jonathan

RotarDad

Thanks for all the input!  That pic is helpful on the strain relief size and taper.  I probably can estimate length pretty closely by looking at the many pics in albums put together by Dennis M. or Jorge A. so I'll try that also.  My goal will be to look close to authentic from the outside of the phone.  So far I'm just starting to experiment.  On the strain relief, I have some tubing which is the perfect 3/8" OD to fit the handset hole.  Dan (D/P) shared some ideas on sliding the tubing over a drill bit and then filing/sanding a taper on the tubing as it spins on the drill.  I'm still early in my process, so it may just turn out that the incorrect, 60s-dated coiled cord looks OK after all.....   ;)
Paul

poplar1

Even though the BSP cited does not have a straight cord, the standard was probably 4'0" since the H4CJ coiled cord is 4' std. and the  standard cords for the F handset were also 4'0"

JorgeAmely

Quote from: RotarDad on May 16, 2012, 03:49:29 PM
Thanks for all the input!  That pic is helpful on the strain relief size and taper.  I probably can estimate length pretty closely by looking at the many pics in albums put together by Dennis M. or Jorge A. so I'll try that also.  My goal will be to look close to authentic from the outside of the phone.  So far I'm just starting to experiment.  On the strain relief, I have some tubing which is the perfect 3/8" OD to fit the handset hole.  Dan (D/P) shared some ideas on sliding the tubing over a drill bit and then filing/sanding a taper on the tubing as it spins on the drill.  I'm still early in my process, so it may just turn out that the incorrect, 60s-dated coiled cord looks OK after all.....   ;)

I can check when I get home this evening.
Jorge

Argee

I've got a 1953 with a straight cord, its 46" of wire from the body plus another 1 1/8 inches of the tapered bit.   The wire is 5/32 of an inch in diameter, it seems small, don't know for sure if its an original.

poplar1

Quote from: Argee on May 16, 2012, 08:50:05 PM
I've got a 1953 with a straight cord, its 46" of wire from the body plus another 1 1/8 inches of the tapered bit.   The wire is 5/32 of an inch in diameter, it seems small, don't know for sure if its an original.

If it is a Western Electric cord, then the date and length and model number should be stamped on the strain relief.

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on May 16, 2012, 12:21:58 PM
That BSP shows the spring cord H4CJ on a G1AR handset; it does not show the straight cord or a G1A handset

Right -- We need to look in the earlier issue...

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3229&Itemid=2

Table F shows straight cords.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotarDad

Great info - Thanks!!  It sounds like all agree (including the BSP) that 4' is the right length.   It looks to me like the thickness should be about 1/4", I think the same as the old fat 50s line cords.  So far the cordage I've looked at has been a bit too thin.    I've noticed that 4-wire line cords seem about right, but I'd hesitate to cut one up since they are hard to find.
Paul

JorgeAmely

From the outside surface of the base to the outside surface of the handset, it is 48 inches. The strain relief consumes 1.25 inches off that amount.
Jorge

RotarDad

Thanks Jorge for the tape measure verification!  Also helpful to know the strain relief length.
Paul